2010 RMAF Analog Reports + Meet and Greet

The Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is quickly approaching. I’m planning to use this thread to capture anticipated analog related information about the show as well as impressions.

The past three years of RMAF visits have been fun, entertaining, and rewarding. I go to the show for many reasons but mostly to meet other music lovers/audiophiles and industry professionals. The diversity of music, equipment, and personalities are very interesting to me. A link to last year's comments can be found here: 2009 RMAF Comments

There should be quite a few interesting things going on at this year’s RMAF. If you haven’t attended the show, you should seriously consider going. I’ll post a few things I anticipate seeing at this year's RMAF in the tread reply below.

I’ve also found out that AudiogoN member Cello has set up a meet and greet on Friday night @ Garcia's Restaurant located across the street from the Marriot. More details to follow. The past two meet and greets in 2008 and 2009 have been very enjoyable. I expect the same from this one as well.

Please feel free to post your attendance plans now and your analog experiences after the show.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you at the show,
Dre
dre_j

Showing 6 responses by lewm

I will be there, too. I am on a quest for high-ish efficiency, high-impedance full range speakers that can work well with my Atma-sphere amps and pose a challenge to my present Sound Lab M1s in terms of coherency and transparency. I hope to listen to Coincident, Daedalus, etc, etc. Otherwise, it will be interesting to see and perhaps meet the humans I know only by their products or as posters of posts on this and other websites. Staying at the Marriott.
For those who have attended in the past, is there much happening on Sunday, or is it basically a day for tearing down the tents, so to speak? I am trying to decide on flight times to and from Denver and wondering whether there is any point in staying late on Sunday.
Dre, Thanks. Will do as you suggest. Hope to meet some of you guys there.
Agree that the Raven/Thoress room was great fun and great sounding. TW is also a very nice unpretentious guy with a great sense of humor. I also enjoyed Steve Dobbins room with the Beat direct-drive turntable and "small" MBL speakers. The Beat cum Reed tonearm is a winner for sure. All the vinyl gurus I met: Thomas, Steve, Thom Mackris, Schroeder, etc, are unusually nice guys with a penchant for sharing their enthusiasms with others.

I walked out of the tonearm comparison (not to say "shoot-out") at what must have been around 10 PM. I was stuck at the back of the room and could not hear any important differences between Talea and Schroeder, except to say that the differences I did hear could well have been due to the differences between the cartridges. Others with better seats had more definitive impressions. What the experience proved to me is that choosing among the tonearms and turntables we agree are among the best is largely a matter of personal taste and the availability of disposable income. There are so many excellent well thought out products; we are very fortunate.

I am glad I attended finally.
Tbg. I could not agree more. The Beat plus Reed plus either the A90 or the Puritas cartridge plus Allnic electronics plus MBL spkrs was one of the nicest systems I heard. I actually preferred the Allnic Puritas over the A90 (slightly). It just seemed a bit less mechanical. Perhaps we were in the Dobbins room at the same time. I would have enjoyed meeting you. In future, A'goners should have a secret handshake or wear a certain flower in their lapels, so as to be identified to each other.

The TW Acustics room was similarly wonderful to experience.
Talea, Not to worry. You make a beautiful and well-engineered product that I would be proud to own.