1975 New Reflektor 6n23p SWGP or Siemens/Amperex/Telefunken Cca?

Contemplating shooting for the moon with the 6DJ8/6922 tube type.  The moon appears to be either the 1975 New Reflektor 6n23p SWGP or Siemens/Amperex/Telefunken Cca.  For reference, the link below asserts the former is the Holy Grail.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-128#post-10483507

Curious what the here assembled opine.

Would be installed into a 2006 Dodd Battery Powered Preamp that is currently populated with early 1960s Siemens large halo getter e188cc (7308), which are great.  Objective of the moonshot would be more of the same that the current tubes are delivering...if such is possible.  Or, as any card carrying audiophile would espouse, something even better.

Thanks in advance for opinions, particularly from any audionaughts who have taken this particular journey.
128x128xenolith

Showing 4 responses by tksteingraber

@scm i bought set of 5 on ebay $35 and made sure they were Voskhod Rocket’s.  I bought from a source in Ukraine thinking if it doesn’t work out it will be a donation to help someone out in their horrible war situation.  I picked one listed as new, tested, VRocket’s set of 5 hoping I could get 2 good ones.  No problems they arrived in about 3 weeks well packed.  They were a mix of dates ‘76, ‘81, ‘83 and did not look new but not bad.  Some labels worn down.  Pins looked good. I tested the tubes and got one closely matched balanced pair 95% GM.  The other 3 were all good but not as balanced and GM in 70’s - 90’s with one being very unbalanced.  Overall a success in my mind.  If I do it again I would look for listed date codes from ‘74-‘79 listed as tested hopefully with results.  But its a crap shoot.  Think of it as helping out Ukrainians.  Good luck!

@scm the tubes I bought sound fantastic in my Lab12 Ref DAC.  They rival my favorite much more expensive French Phillips E188CC tubes.  Stunning for the price.  I bought some Reflector 6P3S (6L6) output tubes from the 1960’s with them rivaling my RCA Blackplate 6L6’s.  Seems the older Reflector 50’s-‘70’s Russian tubes in good condition are excellent sounding tubes. Only if you’re willing to take the risk.   🇺🇦 

Check  these out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255639579364?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7sn5SZ6oRNG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2lFcSwP8SgS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@scm Good luck with it and keep us posted on your,results.  I bought 2 pairs of the tubes in the link I sent in a prior post still in route.   We’ll see what I get🤞. I do like the ones I bought with ‘80’s date codes as well.

My Lab 12 Reference DAC just went up several levels today!  I just received 2 pairs of Voskhod 6N23P’s Single Wire with a mix of silver and gray shields today from the ebay link I provided earlier.  One pair is 1975 and one is 1972. All tested good on my Hickok 605a tester 90%+ GM somewhat balanced/matched.  All have the same exact construction with the curved single wire getter supports.  Unlike my 76-84 ones I own which have the single flat silver getter support rod.  All tubes sound great but these Silver Wire ‘72 and ‘75 are the real deal and the best sounding tubes I have heard.  I can’t tell the ‘72 and ‘75 apart but they are definite step up from my 76-84 tubes.  I did notice one of the ‘75 tubes had different plate construction than the other 3 single wire tubes.  Those plates were the same as my 76-84 tubes.  My take is that it was a late ‘75 tube and they were transitioning to the  newer ‘76 plates but were still using single wire getters.   The years might not be so definitive?…I think the key is to make sure you get the tubes with the bent single wire as close to 74-75 as possible.  Best $100 invested…much cheaper than upgrading my DAC!