1975 New Reflektor 6n23p SWGP or Siemens/Amperex/Telefunken Cca?

Contemplating shooting for the moon with the 6DJ8/6922 tube type.  The moon appears to be either the 1975 New Reflektor 6n23p SWGP or Siemens/Amperex/Telefunken Cca.  For reference, the link below asserts the former is the Holy Grail.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-128#post-10483507

Curious what the here assembled opine.

Would be installed into a 2006 Dodd Battery Powered Preamp that is currently populated with early 1960s Siemens large halo getter e188cc (7308), which are great.  Objective of the moonshot would be more of the same that the current tubes are delivering...if such is possible.  Or, as any card carrying audiophile would espouse, something even better.

Thanks in advance for opinions, particularly from any audionaughts who have taken this particular journey.
128x128xenolith

Showing 3 responses by petg60

Glad you like them, in simple terms they sound correct. You do not give notice to usual hifi terms, but their musical flow. Too bad prices have gone high as few years back they were selling for peanuts.

G
Try to get some 6n23p Voskhods 74-79 period and you will never look back, problem is to find a good and trusty vendor for these. They have a better pricing compared to other 88 family nos, have less tedency to microphonics, and generate less heat around the tube. I have tried nearly all in that family and i am happy to have a good stock of these and selling nearly all my nos stock of ecc88/e88cc/e188cc. Just kept some Holland ecc88, e88cc, e188cc, Siemens e188cc A frames (which i find better voiced than CCa's). D-getter Bugle Boys ecc88 and Amperex Holland e88cc straight D-getter 1958-1959 period are special but can become noisy. All depends on your gear and how hard it drives the tubes.
Another nice and linear sounding tube is Mullard e88cc-01, equivalent to CCa but unfortunately same pricing and more rare.

G

Good to hear that you like them, recently i made some changes installing the 6n23p-ev (1982), just to check that alternative.

Why do i bother? Only thing they did better is in terms of a lower noise, apart from that, boring, with limited dynamics but that is because of the lower cathode resistance of that tube.

By the way on ebay at the moment there are plenty Voskhods, 70's production, on sale by Ukrainian dealers at good prices. Maybe it is time to do a bulk purchase, and after check them on a tube tester, i cannot be so unlucky.