18 inch subwoofer vs multiple 12 inch subwoofers with bookshelf speakers

I am currently in the process of selecting a subwoofer system to complement my bookshelf speakers (3x KEF LS50 Metas with 5.25-inch midrange drivers, 2x KEF Q150) to achieve a balanced and immersive audio experience. Size of the room is (19.5x13x8).

After thorough research, I have narrowed down my options to two configurations: 1x Rythmik F18 18-inch subwoofer or 2x Rythmik F12 12-inch subwoofers, with the possibility of expanding to two F18 or four F12s in the future.

My primary criteria for the subwoofer system are musicality, speed, transient response and depth of bass response, particularly in the low-frequency extension below 18Hz. Additionally, I aim for seamless integration with my bookshelf speakers, ensuring a cohesive and satisfying soundstage for both music and movie content without overpowering the midrange and high frequencies produced by the bookshelf speakers.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations you may have regarding which configuration—either the single F18 or the dual F12s (possibly 2x F18 vs 4x F12) would offer better synergy with my bookshelf speakers and deliver a fuller, deeper sound with smooth and fast transient response across frequencies with 50/50 music and movie?

thxbest

I know the brand Rythmik but have never used them in my system. In general, smaller drivers, 12 inch in your case vs. 18 inch, will deliver faster bass which can keep up with your song.  Larger drivers, in general tend to be slow and likely suitable for movies in home theater set up.  Dual subwoofers are also better than one subwoofer.

@thxbest. 3x KEF LS50 Metas with 5.25-inch midrange drivers, 2x KEF Q150

Correct me if I’m wrong, your Musuc/HT system isn’t design for more than 4-6 people in a medium size room. These speakers will have a hard time with anything larger anyway.

Here in Las Vegas, I see how they setup 2k+ seat show rooms. They use horn loaded speakers above 60-70Hz hidden above the stage and place a 12”-15” subs hidden behind/below every 2 to 4 seats. The sound tech will go into sections across the show room and EQ/balance each zone against main speakers. One more device they use is multiple delay lines to sync the whole room. Yes this is an oversimplification but you get the idea.

I’m a humble advocate of placing subs behind your listening seats. Using digital delays to retire bass signal to sync arrival times gives me perfect base every time.

Best Regards 

Mosler666

PS: I choke every time when I see someone say bass overtone with subwoofers. Proper sub at proper xover feq will not produce any such nonsense.

I too generally have preferred multiple subs, especially when crossing to small (bookshelf type) mains.

Driver Xmax and surface area will not be the same. Depending on how you plan to integrate the subs, that may not be a negligible difference. An 18” driver will offer ~10-12% greater surface area than 2x 12” drivers.

In your case, without knowing the specs for either model, I’d still be inclined to use two smaller subs vs. one bigger sub (again, especially with small mains and with music being a strong use case).

I have been using two B&W AWS600 Series 8” subs paired with Harbeth SHL5+ Bookshelf monitors and found them more than adequate. 200W x2 offers more than enough power without overfilling the room with a super boom boom bass punch that can move your furniture. In short, too much can be way worse than not enough. The size of the area you need to support coupled with the crossover frequency and how hard you can drive the monitors is what drives the formula, not just the bottom end.