15k for streamer and dac....how much on each?

for a music first, streaming only, two channel system.......with 15k in pocket (can buy new or used)  is the general rule of thumb 50/50 split on the budget?

do any all in one units at this price point compare to separates?

What choice did you land on at your respective budgets?

I've not had the greatest experience with streamers.....sound more similar than dissimilar to my admittedly non golden untrained ears

audiocanada

Showing 3 responses by mgrif104

There are certainly no absolutes though @ricred1 details an experience closer to my own. 

Every DAC has a favored input type and file type. Use the wrong one and streamers may sound the same. Use the right one and you might enjoy the appreciable differences between the streamer.

A home audition is a must. And that audition should really include trying the various inputs on your DAC with high quality cables.

Personally, I think 50/50 is about right but there are so many factors it’s hard to draw any specific conclusions. 

It would also help If you tell us what you’re considering and why, along with the rest of your equipment

Best,.

It’s always fascinating to read through these threads. 

A number of posters have stated it’s a waste to spend money on a streamer. I’d be curious as to how many better quality streamers they’ve actually tried in their own system. 

To some of us, investing in a quality streamer was more beneficial than upgrading the DAC. In my search for a new DAC, I auditioned the Simaudio 680 DAC (very nice unit, BTW - with built in streaming function).

I had been planning on getting an all in one DAC/streamer and figured I would sell my streamer, saving me some money, cables, boxes.

I then auditioned that same DAC but with my Auralic G2 streamer sourcing it - just to compare. The dealer doesn’t carry Auralic - so he was certainly not biased in favor of it. He was as surprised as me at how much better the DAC sounded when sourced by the outboard streamer as opposed to the Simaudio built in streaming function. (As an aside, he started working on picking up the line). 

This is but one example I can share. Those looking to improve the performance of their DAC should strongly consider exploring improving the source feeding the DAC. You just might be surprised at the results. Streamers can make a very significant difference for the better if you choose well. 

It’s certainly worth auditioning one instead of dismissing it.

@oldracer 

I too have the DAC200. Have you tried giving it DSD files? I’m not sure if the Lumin has the capability of file conversion or if you have a computer you could put HQplayer on to then give to the Lumin. But, the DAC200 sounds even better when using its DSD path.

to the rest on this thread  - sorry for the short detour.