ZYX "House" Sound

I am searching for a different sound in my system. I'm currently using the Shelter 901 MkIII and the Koetsu Rosewood Signature. I consider both to be on the warm side of neutral. I'd like to find a very good quality cartridge that is a bit more neutral. I don't want "clinical". I cannot cope with cymbals that sound like white noise with emphasis on the upper octaves. System is: MS DD-40 (2 tables), SUT using the Cimemag 1254 Tranny, Paragon Model E tube preamp (used as a phono pre) and Musical Surroundings Nova phono pre, Levinson control amp, Bryston 2.5B cubed power amp, Revel bookshelf speakers and HSU sub.

I've been seriously considering ZYX for my next cartridge. There are reviews of the top and bottom of the line ZYX cartridges, but little in between. I've contacted Mehran at Sorasound. Based on my budget, he suggested the Ultimate (Exceed) 4D or the Ultimate (Exceed) Omega.

Not many reviews for these mid-tier cartridges. Is anyone familiar with the sound of these cartridges? Does ZYX have a "house" sound? I'm not concerned by the naming confusion nor any of the other negative comments I've read. They're not constructive. I really want to understand where the ZYX cartridges fit in the cool to warm spectrum. There may be other brands to look at, and I'm doing that. This post is about the ZYX sound.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xkevemaher

Showing 1 response by ledoux1238

I, too would be interested in more discussion of the ZYX house sound and especially any comparison to other brands. I have read a user of an Ultimate Omega describe it as 'jarring' compared to his Koetsu Urushi. 

Having owned ZYX airy 3, Ultimate 1000, and Ultimate Omega, I can subscribe to the notion that there is a house sound to the brand: neutral and even handed. However, I also have an Audio Tekne and a Transfiguration Proteus, and I would say that these two cartridges exhibit the same sonic characteristics as Ultimate Omega, with different levels of resolution and dynamics. I assume that Koetsu and Miyajima would be on the warm side of ZYX while lower level Lyras' would be on the 'lean' side. 

But even within the ZYX range that is the 'normal' Ultimate, and now the Exceed range, and in the US the Universe range. How does the old Universe ii, say, compare to the Ultimate Omega? How does the TOTL Ultimate ( or Exceed ) Astro compare to the Universe Optimal? Two different house sounds or ......? 

Looking forward to answers.