Zu Definition 1.5 vs Merlin VSM-MXe

Hi,

My first post...i am looking for what may be my last speaker purchase for a while.

I wonder if someone has been able to compare the sound of these speakers?

I know the Merlin VSM-MM sound and have heard it with the Berning Otl..i like it a lot but wondered about the Zu and like its design.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick
patrick_321
Tpsonic, on what experience do you base your post? Please list the associated equipment and where you've heard them. I'm very interested.
Thanks in advance; much appreciated.
I only listen tomclassical so the ZU's could never be my speaker.
never heard of a speaker that limits itself to only certain music. Whats this world comming to???
If its not ideal for classical then obviously it has issues with all other music as well.
Or am i wrong?
Lets get real here.
Hi,

My music is eclectic but i listen mostly to electronic, rock, jazz and vocals. Not so much classical.

I just wondered after reading the 6moons review...it would be nice to drive the Zu's with flea power digital amps.

I also read about the PMC AML1 active monitors..they seem nice too.

Its going to be a tough choice!

Thank you for your comment so far.

Patrick
As an owner of Def. Pro's, I completely disagree with the classical music "limitation".

Between two such different speakers, I certainly would make any and all efforts, including traveling, to hear both before buying. Give the Def's some time, as some people find their ears don't "get it" immediately. Some people don't get them ever. But, if you ending up liking them you probably will love them.

I've used mine with tiny digital amps and SET tubes, both to great effect.

I'm not going to get into a long discussion here, it's all been said before. Search the archives for previous discussion. I don't know how much is left but I'm sure it's plenty to get both sides of the discussion.