Zu Audio Modded Denon 103's

I bought a Zu Audio DL 103 Mk II cartridge - Grade 2 Prime cartridge for $1099 as a spare as my other cartridge was being repaired/inspected. At the time (September 2020), the cartridge sounded pretty good - this was my first modded DL 103. However, just as the cartridge was breaking in (~ 35 hours), I accidently hit my tonearm and sent it towards the platter and unfortunately snapped the cantilever right off. After a few cuss words, I realized there wasn't much I could do except send it in for a retip. So the next day, I sent it to VAS Audio to get it retipped. When Steve examined the cartridge, he told me that the right terminal of the cartridge was damaged internally and that due to the make of the cartridge (epoxy filled) that repairing it would be an issue. I then reached out to Zu Audio who confirmed that repair was not possible (after I sent the cartridge back to them) and the best they could do was offer me 20% off on a new cartridge. I definitely wasn't going to go down that route again - I tried to get the 20% discount on other Zu products, but was told that the offer was only good for cartridges. So, worst $1100 ever spent. I know accidents like this are isolated incidents, but it does happen. So those of you that are looking into the Zu modded Denon's - keep this in mind.

Since I didn't have another spare cartridge, Steve did send me one of his modded Denon's with a wooden body and elliptical stylus. The VAS cartridge sounded warmer and better than the Zu cartridge and at half the price. To those that are in the market for modded 103's there are tons of options out there - I would recommend giving VAS audio a try before pursuing the more expensive Zu Audio or other cartridges that use epoxy as fillers to add mass. This way if something goes wrong, at least there is the option to repair the cartridge.

128x128rdk777

Showing 1 response by dover

Cartridges are a disposable item, you should only spend what you can afford to throw away.

Secondly, a lot of these modified Denons are a joke. All they do is put a new body over the top, but at the end of the day the cartridge is still connected to the tonearm via the flimsy plastic base under that shiny flashy new body shell. I mean you could just as easily glue some flooby dust to the standard cartridge.

Or you could nude the cartridge yourself - just cut an aluminium/spz/magnesium/titanium plate, whatever your poison, drill 2 holes to match the headshell, pull the body off the cartridge and epoxy or superglue the guts to the plate

Cant make silk out of a pigs ear though.