Young audiophile metal head looking to level up speaker choice

Hello Audiogon,

I'm a pretty new to the world of audio and looking to make a signifiant upgrade from my first self purchased speaker, the Q Acoustics 3030i.  I was encouraged by an audiophile friend to join Audiogon and post a question regarding what speaker would be best.

I decided to pick up a much nicer amplifier last year, upgrading from a Cambridge AXR85 to a Rogue Sphinx V3. This 2024 I am wanting to make a similar upgrade to my speakers.  I wanted a more dynamic amplifier and found the Cambridge to smooth when combined with my Q Acoustics.

I have my own listening room but it's rather small 11ft x13ft.  I listen to mostly heavy metal/rock music at 70-85 decibels.   I have looked at been cross shopping the Buchart S400 mkII, Dynaudio Evoke 20, Zu DWX, Arendale 1723 - but have also heard good things about vintage Usher speakers..

Thanks for your consideration and advice here.

cheers

killingforcompany

Showing 1 response by james633

Horns can actually work better in small rooms than direct radiating speakers. The horns control the dispersion a bit which will help reduce side wall reflections. All the speakers you mentioned are good speakers but they all sound pretty different. I would add wharedale as you get a lot more for your money. I think they are priced 30-50% of their market value (link below)

For rock it is tricky and I would focus on 2 things, dynamics and a smooth response. I listen to rock as my main music (all music too) but rock/metal is very demanding of a speaker. You need good bass for rock music. I would always add a sub, subs work fine in small rooms as they are adjustable and a mini dsp can be used to tame them. The other thing for rock is you want a downward slipping treble in room which is a good target anyway. Some hifi speakers are pretty bright and that does not blend well with poorly recorded metal.

anyway my #1 choice would be horn loaded JBLs but current models (4349) would be out of your budget even used (based on the speakers you listed) so you would need to shop older/used. Anyway too many good options to even list. I would get out and listen to stuff.

You might get away with a small tower speaker like the Revel 206 used (the 226be is outstanding but $$$$) It measures very well and has good tech despite looking kind of simple.