Yamaha NS 5000 w/ NAD M33

Currently driving my brand new Yamaha NS 5000's with my new NAD M33. (and they sound relatively well paired!)

I am considering adding an NAD M23 (200w) and bridging it with the M33 (200w) 

*but concerned it may be destructive to my new LS 5000's, (nominal 200w; max 600w)

Curious as to other more experienced users/dealers thoughts. Thank you.

128x128adamaxel

Showing 3 responses by deep_333

The NAD is class D (bad nad). The class d emperor never had clothes with certain types of speakers.

Return it and get a pair of Schiit Tyr monoblocks ($3200) + a Kara preamp for the under 5k price bracket to do that speaker justice. It will let you see the special something about this speaker.

After that, you could end up spending ~ upwards of 20k to beat the schiit and still doubt if you got 'the wallet's worth or not (from time to time).

@yyzsantabarbara

I’ve had the NS5000 for a short while now. I got an offer I couldn’t refuse on my Schweikert from a guy who audited it earlier this year and sold it (i.e., my empty wallet became fulleth again). I was leaning a bit towards a Borresen, but, ended up pulling the trigger on the ns5000 instead.

I first tried the c5000+m5000 pairing on the ns5000 and was not content. I typically use the c5000+m5000 on my TAD and that is hog heaven. The m5000 doesn’t cut it for the ns5000....Yamaha...they can make their amps sound brilliant with their former nemesis’ speaker (Pioneer/TAD), but, can’t make that amp work for their own speaker (strange indeed).

I currently have the C5000+ Schiit Tyrs and GR openbaffle servo sub on the NS5000 and I am lost for words with the exquisite sound of the ns5000. I have also been content with usage of the modest schiit Kara. Schiit’s class Aish continuity topology is something special.

I’ve tried my Luxman c900u+m900u on the ns5000 and it is a different kind of nice, but, I seem to prefer the Schiit Tyr with it. I have become a Schiit fanboy of some sort 😂 

I’ve tried my Technics SU-R000 on the ns5000 and I don’t like that pairing. This speaker is fairly picky with amps, but, with the right pairing for one’s tastes, it is magical.

Echoing some of what @waytoomuchstuff mentioned about dynamic contrast, dropping the room’s noise floor as much as possible is the first step to improving perceived dynamics, i.e., takimg care of that noisy hvac, buzzing things, rattling walls etc. Then, treat the room followed by grippy electronics. (The alternative is to keep cranking it up into hearing loss).

Talk to Poes Acoustics, Acoustic Fields, Grimani systems, etc on how you need to get that drywall, studs, etc done before tossing panels in a room.

Speaking of electronics, some guys like it loose. If you fall in that category, can’t have your cake and eat it too...