Yamaha NS 1000M Find

I lucked out and found a pair for $30 yesterday with scratching on the tops, and bottoms of the cabinets, and a dented midrange screen, but otherwise nice. Sounds worse then it is.
I have to really run them through some paces, but I was not that impressed initially.
One question about power rating. I know many speakers rated at 100 WPC can handle more, but with the beryllium tweeters, is it risky to feed them 150 WPC?
I have a pair of Polk SDA's that are some sort of variant on the SDA 2's. Possibly some sort of prototype SDA's. Anyway the Polks can handle anything, and sound great. I am running a Sansui AU 919 with the Polks, and I know that the Yamaha's would be fine with the 919, but I may like to have more power. Thoughts?
laviathon

Showing 1 response by magfan

Speakers don't have watts.
You could hook 'em up to a couple kilowatt monoblocks and have no problems. Just don't crank it to the clipping / distortion level.

I also have no idea where the manufacturers get the rating attached to a speaker. Sine wave RMS? Some kind of averaging music power?
I'm sure you could feed 'em way more power than 150 each as peaks while the continuous never got above say ...... 20% of max.

Long term listening at hi levels will heat up the drivers from resistive heating. Than they will begin sounding different and may even fail. My understanding is that Pro gear is designed with this continuous beating in mind.

One other parameter besides power handling is sensitivity. I'd expect a 100db sensitive speaker which could handle 100 watts to play more loudly than a 90db speaker which could handle the same 100 watts.