Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan or local TD-125?

(Cross posted)

Im wondering if anyone has ordered one off Ebay.  The Japanese websites seem pretty legit. I’m really sold on these, I’d say it’s my dream table for now.

Also have a chance to pick up a fully serviced Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 locally.  Arm was rewired, but have not been quoted a price since the seller wants to wait until the work is complete.  I’m guessing around the same as  GT2000, likely low to mid 1k’s

Any constructive thoughts are much appreciated.

brecchi

Showing 11 responses by brecchi

elliottbnewcombjr and lewm

Thanks for the insight.  It would be nice to have a YOP-1 clone, but I think they are hard to come by.  In lieu of that, I was looking for step down transformer advice.  Nice to know its a cheap and generic solution.

I'm in the middle of negotiating for an "Excellent" GT-2000.  I should be able to get it at $1400.  I'm a bit nervous dropping that kind of cash for a transaction like this.  If I bite the bullet, fingers crossed that it arrives well packed and representative of the pics.  And if something goes wrong that reimbursement is not a nightmare (buyer pays return shipping, but I am likely covered by eBay protection.)

I believe its an SME 3009 II, non-improved. Removable headshell. I’ll try to attach a pic:

I believe the 3009 is in the process of being rewired now.

Also, I’m having a ton of trouble posting a pic.  Mainly because I cant figure out hoq to get a URL I think.

Pindac, thanks for the response.  A few thoughts:

- Its sounds like you are a big fan of the GT-2000, but decided to go with some other tables.   I am curious as to what they are, and why you decided against the Yamaha.  You mentioned something about bearing modifications and other mods, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

-GT 2000X would be nice, but out of my price range for now.  A GT-2000 is more realistic for me in the 1400-1500 range without cartridge. 

-I am aware of the upgrades available that you mentioned.  The platter is insanely expensive.  The YOP is around 1k and I haven;t found the vacuum platter mat anywhere, and I'm not really sure what it does.  Lets not also forget that huge iron base which is another add on.

-Regarding BD vs DD, when it comes to a higher end vintage turntable, I think I could be happy with either.  Especially with the Yamaha.

Just an update - I've negotiated for a GT-2000 for 1400 in "excellent" condition.  The pics seem to support this.  

I mentioned that I would like to take the evening to read over the details before payment.  I'm crossing my fingers that things go well from here.  

Yeah, I probably should have been more descriptive.  From what I have read, folks universally report a noticeably improved quality in sound with the YOP 1.  Plus the ability to bypass a step down converter.   I would have to let someone with experience chime in to add more detail.

I doubt I could build one myself.   Apparently there were very good generic versions out there for much cheaper than I have seen, but they seem to be scarce now.  

I'll be sure to check these out on Japan Yahoo like you mentioned, just to see what going prices are

Thanks for the tip.  I usually just see one or 2 on eBay for $1000 or so.  I know they are not a necessity but I've heard they are pretty great to have. 

Thank you all for the advice.  I'll keep looking into the seller Im currently speaking with.  I will likely insist on pics of packing.  

pindac - thanks very much for the link!  I'll likely wait and try to win this auction.

Hello Everyone, 

Just wanted to chime in as I haven;t responded in a bit.  Not too much more to add other than I've read all the posts carefully (thanks for the detailed responses lewm and pindac) and I'm taking everything into account.

As it stands, I'm pretty sold on getting GT-2000 fro Unisound.  I'm in talks with them now on eBay.   I'm not 100% sure how shipping would work if I won a bid on the From Japan/Yahoo website.   It almost seems like From Japan takes over the shipping for all sellers or something, and its also hard to find out how much it costs to ship internationally.