Yamaha A-S 1000 & 2000 --- How Good?

These have been well reviewed, but have not seen much from owners. Has some one had a chance to listen to the Yamaha versus gear from Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh (or smaller integrateds from LFD, Lavardin, etc.) and other top flight integrated SS contenders. I expect it would be a very solid value, especially at street prices for the Yamaha gear, but how does it fair against some if top gear out there? Love the look as an added bonus (yup, in my early 50s). Some say with their R&D prowess that can make a great piece of gear if they set their mind to it - did they do it? (As an additional bit of info - should it matter - my speakers only need 30-40 watts or so, and are very easy loads for amps - tube friendly).
pubul57

Showing 2 responses by mapman

Jung,

What speakers did you use it with?

That might make a big difference in the results depending on how power and current hungry they are/were.

Things could be a lot different with speakers that are tube friendly and an easy load to drive.

I've used a vintage yamaha receiver with my Triangle monitors which are pretty easy to drive and the results were surprisingly good. The only problem is the receiver is only 20 watts and can only go so loud before hard clipping quite noticeably. If the new Yammys perform similarly or better (that is what I would expect), 80-90 watts could be the ticket to very good sound at very reasonable cost. I considered trying these newer Yamahas myself in my application but decided to go in a different direction than an integrated amp.
"I was a brave boy."

The ones who are really brave I always think are those who drop tens of thousands on more on new pieces, that immediately depreciate significantly in value by the thousands, based on product reputation alone or feedback of others that perhaps they have ever even heard before buying.