Would you trust a local dealer to help you put

together a modest system. (think $10k). Let's say you got tired of the whole "system building on my own thing." If you had a good local dealer, would you go take a chance on them and say "I want speakers, an amp and preamp (or integrated) that will sound good in a small to medium size family room." "I already have my sources." What's your take on this?
foster_9
i did not say that a person consulting a dealer is an ignoramus. but if you can do something yourself, why ask someone else to do it for you.

here are several examples.

as a homeowner, i have done plumbing repair in my house. if i had more experience in practical electronics, i could perform electrical repair in my house.
i don't have to ask a movie critic, or restaurant critic, or music critic what movie to watch, where to dine, or what performance of chopin's 3rd piano sonata is best.

i think the function of dealer is to provide facts about components and component interaction and then provide components for sale. however, a manufacturer is usually more knowledgeable about component design and component interaction. if the manufacturer has a dealer network, he is delegating these functions to the dealer.

the best source is the person who designed the component. especially when considering speakers and amps, the speaker or amp designer is the best source of information regarding advice about amplifiers and speakers.
the amp designer can tell you what speakers may be suitable to use with his amp, and the speaker designer can proscribe requirements for an amp to drive his speakers. dealers can provide the same information, but the final authority is the designer. he has the technical background that a dealer lacks. how many dealers have designed amps and/or speakers ?

the same applies to digital hardware, especially interfaces and the suitability of transport dac combinations.

if i may make an analogy, a car dealer can sell a car, but a mechanic is the better source for technical info about a car's performance.
Matching equipment by specs alone will usually yield very poor results. And, again, I maintain that a manufacturer hasn't heard his or her product with as many different types of products as a dealer.

My advice to you is to ask both - a knowledgeable dealer and the manufacturer.
And, metaphorically speaking, dealers don't tell you what movies to watch or which music that you should prefer.

Still metaphorically speaking, we introduce you to new movie technology, new studios, movies (classics, foreign films, independent film makers), actors, cinematographers, writers, etc.

AND if you can inform us as to which genre you prefer, your favorite cinematographer, actors, directors, etc. then we're likely to make recommendations that you would love...perhaps even replacing your current favorite movie.

Mr. Tennis,

You're cordially invited to join me on a hifi adventure. Please take a trip with me to a number of manufacturers so that you can see how many different models of speakers an average hifi amplifier manufacturer owns or borrows to test his or her equipment. Or, how many different types of amplifiers that an average high-end loudspeaker manufacturer uses to design, develop, and test their speakers.

How much money do you really think they budget to spend on other people's gear for the sake of testing and exploring compatibilities?

I promise you enlightenment on this journey as, in my opinion, coming from someone who has already taken it, your faith is misplaced.

Manufacturers know about THEIR products and to this point I do not argue. However, when you start talking about how their product will perform within a system comprised of many products, or with another manufacturer's product, or in a specific room, or with a new control system, then they will most likely only reference the specs and make assumptions regarding engineering compatibility and not sonic compatibility. The two are not the same and I'm sure you realize this.

And, I'll be the first to admit if I don't know what to expect by pairing brand X with brand Y if I have never done so.

As a dealer that some manufacturers have turned to for beta-testing, I can tell you that most products are finalized in the field and dealers provide a considerable amount of field testing and data. When problems develop, manufacturers often turn to their dealers and integrators for suggestions and solutions.

So you see, it's not a one or the other type scenario. The relationship between manufacturer and dealer is symbiotic.

And, as such, I would recommend involving both. What's the harm in doing so?

Best,
Burt