Would you move to a bigger house if you could just to have a better listening room ?

Let's see how crazy we are.

inna

to me moving to build a dedicated ultimate HiFi room, is like buying a boat, which i did multiple times when the kids were young. except that my investment in that home and the sunk cost of building that room in 2004, which was finishing an 1800 sq.ft. barn, has added lots of appreciated value to my home. likely greater than all the rest of my HiFi purchases since.

of course, the alternative would have been to buy neither the larger home or boat, but to invest it. which can have many results. but that’s a different road to go down. we all have to figure out the whole nest egg question for ourselves. i’ve never touched my retirement plan for hifi.....yet. :-)

hard to project these things. but R.E. investment has an upside. OTOH Boats not so much. there are certainly collectables that appreciate. but as far as something you can actually use, a boat is a reasonable compare. and i absolutely get a huge use and great pleasure from my room.

a summer home is probably better yet, but in my case with my 6 day a week job, neither a boat or summer home was a real world choice for me. everyone has to decide what makes them happy. my wife and i are home bodies, and i traveled enough with my job that that type stuff does not have much interest from me or my wife. so this fits us well.

So, to answer my own question, no I would not move just for that but would take it into consideration. Had to pass that Vermont opportunity - too far away and too expensive to build a proper house there.

I learned enough to make any room to sound at least good...

Acoustics rules...

😊