Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

1/ In speakers, with very rare exceptions, fewer drivers is better but a single full-range driver is usually not adequate. 2-way and 1-1/2 way designs rule.

2/ Keep things simple. For example, some people buy a disc player for Redbook and another for SACD/DVD or some such. Keep yourself sane, channel your funds, and buy one good source that will play all the formats you want to buy.

3/ 2 Channels done right are enough. Better really, even for movies.

4/ A good tube amp on a simple chassis is the best performance-per-dollar buy in amplification. You have plenty of choice at any price point.

5/ If you don't buy a tube amp, one of the McIntosh autoformer solid state amps will be grand.

All else is comparatively minor. Well, 3 more: The "previously-owned" market has tremendous bargains; no one ever regretted owning an EL-34-based tube amp; don't expect anything resembling music to come from any device labelled "Krell."

Phil