Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX loudspeaker!! only $300,000.oo

What a bargain, still bet they sound great with the right amp up them, looking at that impedance/phase angle graph.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/421WXVXfig1.jpg

XVX is a very demanding load, with EPDR less than 1.1 ohms between 52Hz and 66Hz and between 197Hz and 287Hz, with minimum values of 0.91 ohms at 450Hz and 0.94 ohms at 3250Hz. The Chronosonic XVX should be used with amplifiers that don't have problems driving loads of 2 ohms and lower.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-chronosonic-xvx-loudspeaker

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Showing 8 responses by ghdprentice

I have heard an earlier version of these and what they can do to sound is simply incredible. Mesmerizing... holographic. But as amazing as they are, not the kind of sound / experience I was going for. I cherish the memory, everyone should experience this if they are suspicious of speakers of this cost. If you have the means and like the experience I am pretty sure there is no other speaker capable of what it can do.
With the exception of the symphony, which I hold season tickets, in general, I don’t like live music (ok, small venue acoustic jazz is good). I don’t like the horrible amplification systems, sound engineers that think louder is better, the crowds, the noice. I have been to many, liked it when I was a teen and in my twenties and it has been less and less interest. I love listening to music. Allowing it to gently liberate my consciousness and relax me, allow me to get lost in it. This doesn’t happen at concerts unless large quantity of drugs are involved. Not my thing.
So the better the system the more it can do that for me. .

Judging by the performance level of the Wilson, I have to say, yes they are worth it. For someone like me who has worked 75+ hours a week under high stress for over 40 years to make a good living, my time is valuable, what I do in my free time is for me to value. I really enjoy excellence (I have 4 custom made bicycles all with over 15,000 miles on them). If I really wanted those speakers I would own a pair. It is a personal choice as to how much money you make and what use you put it to. .

If Wilson sold none, then they would probably not be worth it. They do sell them. Also, they serve to show what is possible. They do things that others cannot. Then there is trickle down to their main stream speakers, where they sell a lot.

I doubt anyone would consider them beautiful, but if you wanted beautiful speaker you would probably be looking at top of the line Sonus Faber.
I would think if you were buying these speakers you would just purchase whatever amplification makes them sound good... what, we are worried the owner can only afford a Rotel or NAD.
With these and most Wilson speakers form follows function. If I was committed enough to purchase them, I would certainly appreciate them in there entirety, for the sound they are capable of producing and decorate my audio area appropriately to integrate their look.

Quite frankly after a decade of ugly black boxes followed by ugly black towers that I subjected my partner to in the name of better sound, these beautifully finished speakers would be imposing but an improvement. Personally I think my partner would appreciate them because she knows the commitment I made to my career and her to provide us with the comfortable life and the large place in we live (large enough that she would never have to see them), that if they make me happy (after she gave me grief for actually spending twice as much on speakers as our first house), and she thinks I deserve the rewards I have earned.
@perkri

”300k is a heck of a lot of money for a component.
It could be argued that those very few who have the means to buy these ultra high end products are taking the manufacturers R&D to new levels as they realize these products. There is always trickle down from this R&D. Guess who benefits? We do. I, for one, am glad they get to develop and build these crazy things. It’s at the edge of feasibility that breakthroughs happen...”

+1 correct
@phusis ...”Lots of money has a tendency to make people lazy and unwilling to explore, and thus becomes more about gadgetry and buying expensive equipment simply because you can.”

You seriously have no comprehension of people that make lots of money. As a group they are smart, well educated, ambitious, and hard working and only part with there money after diligent investigation of facts and make informed decisions. The kind of people that buy from Wilson..

Your generalization sounds like it was formed by watching the Houswives of Orange County and the escapades of Bernie Madoff... which is by far the excepion not the rule. Otherwise this would be a third world country. Hardworking intelligent people are the backbone of our economy. Silicon Valley and the giants of global commerce, medium and small businesses drive this county. Not stereotypic “rich people”.