Wilson Alexia - what's the competition

The critics seem to love it, but what's the crowd's view vs. competition probably Focal Maestro Utopia, Vivid Giya, etc?

And has anyone heard this without the cost no object slew of electronics and cables that Wilson uses at shows? The Stereophile show report listed these $45k speakers being shown with about $350k worth of electronics and cables...the cables were well over twice the price of the speakers! Anyone heard them with slightly more humble accompanying kit?
rfarris

Showing 1 response by rodge827

Give the Shelby+Kroll Reference Standard Monitor 1.0 and Reference Woofer Monitor 1.0 a serious look.
Bruce Brown of Puget Sound Studios has recently published a review on Stereo Mojo and compared them to the Alexia.
Here is a quote from the review:

" In the middle of the review I took delivery of the new Wilson Alexia’s. Shelby+Kroll boasts great things about their speakers and they had the temerity to ask me to compare them to my new $50,000 speakers. Heck, their website compares their speakers to $100,000+ models!

FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY...

Like Muhammad Ali and Deion Sanders, it ain’t trash talkin’ if you got the skills to back it up! Let me tell you folks, the Shelby+Krolls speakers got SKILLS! The system didn’t run with its tail between its legs; no, it stood there toe to toe with the best. Granted, the Alexia’s weren’t fully broken in, nor were they in their final position and spiked, but the Shelby+Kroll speakers didn’t get embarrassed. I could easily live with these speakers and that’s is not something I say often. I am very picky! I’m a professional audio engineer. Speakers are not just a hobby for me.

They may not be quite as dynamic or play as loud as a full range tour de force, but played within their limitations which are minor, you can’t get any better… Period."

You can check out the full review here:

http://stereomojo.com/SHELBYKROLLReferenceStandardMonitor1.0andReferenceWooferMonitor1.0.htm/SHELBYKROLLReferenceStandardMonitor1.0andReferenceWooferMonitor1.0.htm

Disclaimer : I am in no way affiliated with Shelby+Kroll loudspeakers, just a very enthusiastic owner answering a thread.

Enjoy