will changing to solid-state make the bass in my wilson sophias better at low volume?

I've noticed that my sophias really shine when they're cranked up a bit, which is great, but I'm wondering if I can't get more of that, esp. the bass, at lower volumes. my tube amps (Cary Slam-100s in triode) are ~50w/ch, more than the 25w/ch minimum wilson recommends. it seems to me that I could either get a sub or try a solid-state power amp. it'd be easy enough to try either/both, but I'm curious what people have to say. thanks!
musicslug

Showing 2 responses by james633

Once I demoed the Sophia 3 with a musical fidelity A5 (solid state integrated amp) back to back with a $30k AR tube pre and amp (model?). The tube setup lost most of the dynamic bass slam that I found intriguing on the A5. The bass had crazy slam and power on the A5 in a very large room. 
Maybe try a cheap use solid state amp, even a class d just to mess with. If you like it sell it and get a good solid state amp. It is alway a compromise somewhere though. Expect highs to suffer.
Decathlon,

has it right, all most all systems needs subs but an active crossover is key.