Will a tube amp work well on Revel f208?

Hi,
Two different stereo store salesmen both told me to use a tube integrated amp (primaluna evo 400, or Ayon V) on my Revel f208.  I live in an apartment, so I rarely listen at concert levels (rock,pop,80's,modern music,etc) ,  But due to that speaker's impedance swings, it's in the 4 ohm region a lot  and needs a 4 ohm capable amp.  I was told by someone else that the Revel f208 likes high current, (Which won't be found in a tube amp?).  I was considering something like Hegel or anthem integrated STR before the prima Luna evo 400  was recommended.  Can  Somebody with actual knowledge chime in so I am not at the mercy of salesman or misinformation?  The speakers are revel  f208 and I'd like to stick with an integrated and stream for simplicity (I have node 2i)Thanks!
128x128labguy

Showing 4 responses by glow_worm

Millerc...
“Its not impedance, its sensitivity you want to pay attention to....That is why sensitivity is the single most important speaker spec.”
Completely wrong with regard to tube amps. So much has been written about this, hard to believe that even you said this.
HI risk, why take a chance? Best case your cutting it close here with 70ish watts, and speakers with these specs may not give their full potential without ample power.  Decide on tubes v ss first, then find speakers. With the PL, I would find some 8+ ohm speakers with a flatter curve where you can use the 8 ohm taps.  I’ve been down this road with tubes (with a PL which are very good btw), with excellent speakers (similar specs) that reside in my garage.  

Labguy,
The attached is an excellent explanation about tube gear and speaker matching. He explains it far better than I can. A tube/speaker mismatch is a classic mistake that you want to avoid, it’s expensive and frustrating. I don’t know how your speaker and amp will perform together, but it’s important to understand the issues involved and what to listen for before you purchase.  Good luck and let is know what you decide. 

https://www.dhtrob.com/overige/tubefriendly_lsp_en.php
BTW, Ralph  Karsten at Atma-Sphere has written extensively about this subject on the Forum, I’ve found his input really helpful. Definitely read!