Will a tube amp work well on Revel f208?

Hi,
Two different stereo store salesmen both told me to use a tube integrated amp (primaluna evo 400, or Ayon V) on my Revel f208.  I live in an apartment, so I rarely listen at concert levels (rock,pop,80's,modern music,etc) ,  But due to that speaker's impedance swings, it's in the 4 ohm region a lot  and needs a 4 ohm capable amp.  I was told by someone else that the Revel f208 likes high current, (Which won't be found in a tube amp?).  I was considering something like Hegel or anthem integrated STR before the prima Luna evo 400  was recommended.  Can  Somebody with actual knowledge chime in so I am not at the mercy of salesman or misinformation?  The speakers are revel  f208 and I'd like to stick with an integrated and stream for simplicity (I have node 2i)Thanks!
128x128labguy

Showing 1 response by elliottbnewcombjr

DUAL MONO. Keep in mind, a tube amp that allows it to be used in MONO gives you current or future options for more power if you move, and/or try lower efficiency speakers in the future. That gives you the option to try something that is 'probably enough', and solve it by getting another (consider the cost if trying 'probably enough'.

Never saw or heard one, but the design/specs/reviews of that Prima Luna EVO 400 certainly is tempting, I would love to hear one. Among the many specific features, I like the relay method of input isolation.

Triode/ultra-linear. My Cayin AT88T has remote switching. I and all my friends, and all reviewers I have found prefer it's Ultra Linear, thus you get the higher output rating. In your apartment, I suspect either mode would be enough power for those speakers. Not important, but annoyingly, the Cayin defaults to Triode, so I need to wait for it's 30 sec test sequence, then change to ultra-linear.

Too much bass is not your friend in APT's, so I hope your pre-amp offers tone controls if needed, i.e. when others are present in their apts, full bass when they are out.