Will a Grado Ref. Cart. fit my Thorens TD160???

Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this one. I've read here and there that certain Grados won't fit the standard tonearm on a stock Thorens TD160.

I think my cartridge (Shure M95ED) is the bottleneck in my current system and I'd really love to upgrade.

If either a Grado Platinum or Sonata won't fit, what do you recommend??

Thanks in advance.
sherman90
I realize this is an ancient (7+yrs) thread but when the subject is 44yr old turntables and cartridges it seems appropriate and hopefully helpful to the community at large to share. It's strong testament to the excellent design and workmanship of these old Thorens machines that they are still providing performance levels comparable to new units.

My Vinyl Journey: I purchased myThorens TD160c in 1974 and loved it with an Empire 2000 then the Shure V15III. I packed it away when I, along with too many, drank the CD kool-aid. Then 8-10yrs later I resurrected it, I replaced the belt, cleaned and lubed it, put a new stylus on the original Shure V15-III and fell in love with my vinyl collection all over again. I now enjoy all kinds of media. SACD.\, DVD-Audio, CD, High Bit Rate streaming and I have discovered the many 180g-200g remastered vinyl titles from MO-FI, Acoustic Sounds, etc so I am enjoying finyl at a higher level than ever. Crazy that this amazing machine still plays as accurately and trouble free and with these new stylus upgrades it sounds even BETTER that the the day I got it! Crazy

To the OP I have a Grado GF3e+ Cartridge(1978) that I upgraded with the 8MZ stylus ~5 yrs ago. This is a great combination. and I am here to tell all that any of the Old Grado/ Prestige Carts can use any of that series styli and fit the TP60 headshell on the Thorens TP16 tonearm just fine. My other 2 current Carts are the Shure V-15 III cart(1974) with VN35HE Bliss stylus(2018) and the  ADC XLM mkII cart(1976)with RSZ Vividline stylus(2018). There is a goldmine of new styli being made to very high standards by JICO and others in Japan. These combined with top old cartridges designed during the peak of R&D back in the 70's provide performance levels that exceed the original styli and the results can be amazing. Prices are climbing for all the old gear so If you'd rather not "roll your own" there are many new designs that offer excellent value and performance too. For example the Nagoaka 110, 150, 200 are Giant killers and bargain prices . Ortophon, Audio Technica, Denon are all excellent performers in the Thorens. It's good to see so much great gear and so many new people discovering vinyl.Enjoy the ride!!CC