Will a DAC mellow Denon DCM 360

Will a low-end DAC help mellow the high freq edges of my Denon DCM 360 carousel. I've seen ads for the Soundstream DAC-1 ($100) and Musical Fidelity X-DAC ($70) around and wonder if they would be any help? Or is the money better spent on a different cd player? My system is Rotel RB-980BX amp(120 W), ROtel RC-972 pre-amp, B&W 601 series 2 speakers, DIY TNT-X 1.5 connects, and DIY Chris Venhaus Cat 5 (27 pair)teflon speaker cables. My current system sounds excellent for the $1,100 I paid (new speakers & stands, used electronics), except for the piercing highs on some cd's. The DIY cables & interconnects provided a great sonic improvement (excellent detail and soundstaging, much tighter bass) as compared to the cheap Radio Shack "Goldseries" connects and monster cable I was using. The only problem is that the better the interconnect/cables the more "edgey" highs that the CDP delivers.
darkmoebius917e

Showing 4 responses by ehider

Dark, Read my thread response to "good entry level transport". I and 18 other audiophiles use this $125; 5 disc changer as our REFERENCE transport, in each of our audiophile systems. I have yet to find another transport for 20x as much that sounds as good. This is not a joke.
I have been told that the Aiwa xc37m is the sonically the same as the xc35m , so either player will work. Although I can't recall every DAC that everyone has, here is a short list of all my buddies DACs : MSB Platinum, MSB link original, and link 2 (both with Supermod enhancements), Bel Canto, Monarchy, Parasound, Theta, Wadia and Classe. Now, as to the Sony question; If you re-read my original posting on the Aiwa (see "good entry level transport"), you will see that the original comparison test involved EVERY japanese cd player, that had an optical output. And the Aiwa was the ONLY player that was indistiguishable from the Wadia (which was used as the benchmark transport). So, why isn't a better constructed Sony player, similiar in performance to the Awia? Because they have different internal electronics. The outstanding performance of the Aiwa was definately NOT a design consideration. THIS IS AN ANOMOLY! What probably happened is that the Aiwa design team sourced in inexpensive digital output devices, that just happened to have incredible performance. This DOES happen once in a while. For example, I sell chips for a living, and have sold a couple of "budget" chips, that actually use ultra expensive design topologies (which are not common to my compeditors' offerings). This is done to commonize chip manufacturing, and ultimately save the chip manufacturer money through reduced tooling expenses (chip tooling can be in the millions of dollars). Of course, we don't inform the customer that we have budget chips, that are actually equivilent in performance, to our flagship devices. In fact, we don't even publish their true specifications. Instead, we "underspecify' the chip, knowing that it will trounce the listed specifications. The above aforemented scenario is probably what happened with the Aiwa. A design engineer at Aiwa bought a cheap xyz chip (or chips), not knowing that they are actually an exotic topology, common to an ultra high performance chip. It may be only a matter of time until a "high end" transport manufacturer finds out about this player, and purchaces one for teardown to determine why it is so great sonically. But, believe me, they are NOT going to pass this cost savings on to the consumer, with a reasonably priced transport. Why do I say this?; Because us audiophiles are conditioned into thinking that we HAVE to spend fortunes, for those state of the art sonics. It would be bad business for the transport manufacturer to provide a sonically state of the art product, at a reasonable price. Do any of you really think that those ultra expensive cables don't have a serious mark-up? I PERSONALY know three MAJOR cable manufacturers, and they are laughing all the way to the bank. (One did try to provide a sonically superior cable at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, not many people bought it, and he made less money than if he would have priced it much higher).
Your low end DAC is a potential solution to your dilemma, but I strongly suggest that you consider utilizing Stan Warren's services at Supermod. He serves to help the budget audiophile achieve the kind of sound that you are looking for. Stan recently told me that he had found a budget Pioneer player, that after modification, holds its own against the big buck D/A's. Stan can be contacted at 541-344-3696. P.S.- If you want to try a better DIY cable design, you may want to read my recent posting under "Best Wires for Cost".