Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan

Dear Dkarmeli,

in the beginning of my digital adventure I was very sceptical about all the gimmicks you are describing: upsampling, wordclocking etc. As the dCS stuff is a real versatile system I still doubt that all users do know about the different possibilities these units offer. i don't like to know how many are using 50 Ohm bnc cables, maybe in different lengths (!) or do not use the right connectors (yes there is an impact on reflection). digital cables are a complete different issue, there are basic technical parameters to be followed but it's also more than 1/0, you may know this.

to keep it short, yes upsampling, using the right filters for the matching music makes a huge difference on sound. If you know how to handle you will be surprised about the terrific sound it can result in.

not using a master clock is giving away a good portion of the good sound.
you really need to test it. proper clocking is one of the most important issues in digital reproduction. Reaching more accuracy by a rubidium clock - in combination with the stability the master clock is providing - is worth a try. Of course you need locking the additional clock in the system properly, also using the correct menue options of your master clock.

If you wouldn't be so far away I could demonstrate all the different effects. On the other hand you may be right when asking why is it so complex finding a satisfying way for reproducing digital sources like CD and SACD. In our beloved analog field it is maybe the same. Yes, you could end up with a 1000 dollar unit, coming with tonearm, cart, phono pre and everything you need to get sound from the grooves. Would you happily settle on this? I believe No!

As you are working on your FR (cabelling - I did lots of recabellings, some I kept, so on the SME 3012 Ia or on the Ortofons) this shows the favour for improvement and testing. I don't have the vacuum lips you got on your blue micro, I had them on the SX II. I tested different turntable plates and finally settled with an Audio Technica AT6278. Also discovered when fixing the additional platter very hard to the Micro platter it improves the sound. Using the original RY-5500 motor I built in a very good new 240 V power supply to reach more precision and stability. Despite the results were very promising in the end I went for the VPI steering system providing me with even more possibilities.

When configurating the three units (motor, table, fly-wheel) I also realized it is the best to isolate all units on separate artifical coral platforms thus avoiding vibration interactions. The vacuum pump got a separate damping box (btw nice and clever design :-) and is completely separated from the rack - this is the worst vibration source.

Yes, the Neumann DST-62 is a very special cart. I am not sure if a Neumann arm (one has to find such a rare thing!) may carry all the positive characteristics of the cart. The EMT 997 and the SME 3012 Ia will do. I use the SME on my EMT...

What about your system besides the blue micro and the 927? Among your many tonearm/cart/phono configurations which one is your absolute favourite?

Some mentions here on the Bavarian voice even if off the 927 topic! they do call for some clarification. Thuchans speakers use the same design as vitavox folded bass horn just like Kevin Scott's, then Iwata horn, directional horn, etc....the resemblance ends there! I have had the fortune to hear both on various but long listening sessions. Different animals! Kevin has tuned his xover to his musical tastes and the smooth flow that Kondo amplifiers and electronics has on offer. Kevin's room is not tuned even if the walls of records and carpets do a stunning job. Thuchan's bavarian voice is tuned to render a more exact description of what is going on upstream...but no worries given the top notch sources, preamps and amps that grace thuchans room that is built to purpose. I would say that Kevin's are designed for the audiophile not seeking perfection but a particular sound that graces the ears and senses. Thuchan's are built with the help of audio minded individuals close to monitoring, and the tone and colours stem from the upstream equipment. What is amazing with thuchans is it works with all sources from vinatge to hyper high end modern....this is the thuchan I like!
Just see the question now...

I admit I do not know the response. Perhaps some economic's considerations, perhaps "modern" subjective tests are not the same (than elders), perhaps the technical approach of nowadays tends to lower the subjective quality, or a mix of all that.
But, it is possible that a Bourdereau/Belin (the "big" one) sounds as good an EMT 927.In fact, it is built in the same manner.

Not easy to compare such things.
yannig,

One could make this argument about other 'broadcast' quality tables as well.. Gates, Weathers, Russo, Technics, Sony, Harris, Presto, Lord, Schlumberger, Commonwealth, etc., etc., etc...

They all had the same cost no object line of thought when building turntables that literally ran 24 hours a day.  Given that, the EMT 927 seems to somehow come out on top, as 'the one to have' among audiophiles.  I know I would chuck my beloved modified Dual 1229, and Garrard 301 in a heartbeat for one.  Problem is, they are expensive and its hard to find one that doesn't have 'high miles' so to speak.

Norman
In the interim since he initiated this thread on the EMT 927, Thuchan purchased, restored, and re-plinthed a Victor TT101, no slouch among direct-drive aficionados.  I would like to know how he feels about the EMT 927 in comparison to his new TT101.  I don't necessarily accept that the EMT 927 is innately superior to other top of the line vintage decks, but it could be; I have never heard one.