Why whole house surge protectors are not enough

TL;DR:

One measure of a surge protector is the clamping voltage. That is, at what voltage does the surge protector actually start to work. Whole house surge protectors are limited to no less than ~ 600 Volts (instantaneous) between a leg and neutral or ground. That’s up to 1,200V if symmetrical.

The best surge protecting strips and conditioners clamp below 200 Volts.

Please keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to use surge protectors at your PC, stereo, TV, etc. in addition to a whole house unit.

I wrote more about this here:

https://inatinear.blogspot.com/2021/09/time-for-new-surge-suppression.html

No manufacturer of whole house surge protection claims that their devices alone are enough for sensitive electronics when you check the fine print.

erik_squires

Erik - 

I totally agree.  I speak from the hard experience where the contractor originally building my home ran out of positions in the SE panel and rather than put in breakers with two circuits per box position or add a secondary panel, they just put the last 4 rooms on the same circuit.  Running the toaster and the garage door opener at the same time always popped the breaker. 

When I redesigned the home, I put in a new main SE panel that was the max allowed by the local utility and then added several subpanels throughout the house.  With well-marked and dedicated circuits available, it becomes very easy to isolate my gear when desirable. 

If the stud walls are still open, it is trivial to run separate circuits for your power amp and your lower-power devices.  I also got a deal on some cable so I ran 1/0 aluminum from the main panel to the subs, so there was minimal drop to each of the 60A panels. By running some #8 cable for the power amp back to the subpanel, that gives a fairly stiff source for the amp to draw from, and compared to the cost of the designer cables used between the wall socket and the devices, the extra in-wall cable cost was almost trivial. 

#8 has twice the max allowable ampacity of the #12 that is almost universally used for residential outlet circuits, so when the amps ask for power, the in-wall wiring can provide it, potentially adding some punch to your music.  You just have to be careful to get #8 copper, not aluminum to get the full benefit because aluminum is used for the larger wire sizes because it becomes much cheaper, but the conductivity is somewhat less.  When you get up to sizes like the 1/0, those are almost always aluminum, and at that ampacity, the droop caused by the draw of your amp is minimal.

Anyone care to explain how a vaccum clear, or anythig inside a home, can cause a surge?  Surges always come from outside the home.

Jerry

Mfinch - 

You may be right that it is hard to get the utility to pay for a new WHSP box, but my goal is to protect my audio equipment investment, and if I can just replace a couple of hundred bucks worth of surge protection and still have my sound system, I call that a win! 

Trouble is, not many folks rig up their WHSP box with full temporary isolation so they can take it out of circuit and test it to see if it still works after you think it has taken a hit.  I'm "old school" and although in-circuit testing can be done, I feel more comfortable when testing just the device, unaffected by anything else. 

In general, the components that provide the surge protection DO degrade over time from the many small hits they will inevitably receive, and so should be tested or replaced once or twice a decade, or more often if your area might indicate it is needed (Florida or similar?).

@erik_squires Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed response.  If I lived where there was lightning, I'd be full in on the best surge protection available for everything excep my audio system....I'd probably just unplug my Regenerator before each storm....I know, PITA but as you know, I don't even like the degradation caused by fuses. 

I'd probably come up with some inexpensive equipment to use when lightning is in the area.  

Difficult problem you have and I feel for you.

thanks,

Jerry 

I use isolation transformers for all my audio gear, and all the A/V. Maybe that's why my 2009 Kuro Plasma is still working - and working well enough to make the 4K upgrade unattractive.