Why not more dealers take trade ins?

Our hobby is definitely an amazing hobby! I know some of us would like to demo or probably purchase new gear but with the economic uncertainty this days, it could be a challenge. I know many audio sites represent a great outlet to save some hard earned$$. I want to help my dealer when I can because they also have employees and payroll responsibilities. My question is, why not more dealers accept trade ins? Wouldn’t that be a win win situation for dealers and audio enthusiasts/Audiophiles? 
128x128analoguefan

Showing 1 response by br3098

I think that almost any dealer will take a trade-in. The problem is the delta between what most buyers expect to receive for the trade-in gear vs. what a dealer can actually pay for that gear and cover additional direct expenses such as service and/or cosmetically restoration (if required), insurance, advertising and still make a reasonable profit.

My experience as a dealer was that most (but not all) guys expect a dealer to credit them for their gear at "retail"; that is the same as they see units advertised on Audiogon and other sites. Then they want a healthy discount on new gear, typically 10% of which is returned due to audiophile buyer's remorse, plus onsite setup and free support for all audio gear (purchased from the dealer or not) for life.

Sorry, what was the OP asking about? Oh yeah, trade-ins. I think that almost any audio dealer...