Why is my turntable sounding so muddy?

I set up my equipment recently after a long layoff. I was away for a few years and had the equipment stored away. The equipment is a Linn Axis with Counterpoint amp and preamp (tube). I mean the cd player sounds great
but my analog is hurting any advice?
hollytone22
Could be as simple as a dirty stylus. Obviously be very gentle, use a tight pile stylus brush with the tonearm free and not locked down. Apply no more pressure than the tracking force, back to front. Hope this helps.
perazzi28C
ould be as simple as a dirty stylus. Obviously be very gentle, use a tight pile stylus brush with the tonearm free and not locked down
Oh no, I completely disagree with this. If the pickup arm is not locked down, it's subject to movement as you try to clean the stylus. That's exactly what should be avoided. If the arm is locked down - and you're careful - it's not difficult to ensure that the stylus is cleaned only back-to-front, with no sideways motion that could damage the cantilever alignment.

Get that Linn on a Sound Organisation table ASAP! That is the stand specifically made for the Linn. I had the same problem myself with my Heybrook. The SO solved the problem! I have seen them for sale for as low as $30.00. +FD