Why I'm not adding a sub to my 2-way monitors for music

I've updated my blog post with more data, more analysis and the conclusion that in my particular case I do not need a subwoofer.  I encourage everyone who is on the fence about adding a subwoofer or not to read and comment.  I think that either way you'll be able to make more informed buying and configuration choices.

Everyone's situation is different but I hope the post helps you get to the right conclusions.

erik_squires

it's all down to set up. if you can set the sub up properly it sounds good. if you cannot, then do not go for it

Using Rel s5 Sho subs with my Thiel 3.7s.  I would never go back to no subs.  There is a presence and expansion of the sound stage that I would very much miss.  That said, if you listen to chamber music or music without much lower frequency information, I would image you wouldn't miss having subs in your system.  

No reason not to have a quality sub.  An SVS Pro is an affordable quality option that has a dedicated iphone app that lets you adjust the EQ, crossover, volume, etc to your liking.  I use different saved settings for music and video.  I also adjust it based on the particular album I listen to.  

It's simple, if you are serious about achieving great sound there are two requirements: room treatment and a DBA system. Read articles from Welti, Floyd and Geddes

This will lift your system above the pedestrian, that is any system not employing subs.

There is a scientific goal with treatment where the quest is to get the sound to decay a certain amount in a certain time and only broad-band absorption including bass traps will provide this. Those mentioning books as diffusers and drapes and other silly things have little effect.

EQ of course can not know how long the sound takes to decay and even if it did what can it possibly do? All it can do is boost or attenuate and there is a limit how much it can boost before your amp runs out of steam. EQ is not necessary in a good room.

I helped a friend where we installed 3 small 8" subs, the lowest we got from some scavenged drivers is about down to 45Hz. which does not really count as a sub but overpowering bass was not the reason for doing this. These 3 small sealed boxes provided a large number of peaks and partial nulls that were very much less than before. So what we ended up with, beyond the 32Hz of his main speakers was a smooth response from about 50HZ upwards. Some full nulls had been filled in that had previously cancelled any music info. In other words music previously completely absent was now heard and the overall effect was truly amazing with a sweet spot the width of the speakers. Everything improved. Consider also that no component upgrade can do what I have just outlined.

As I said, if you're serious!

No subs are the domain of the bootless and unhorsed 😁 

I love adding a sub to music - i spent 25 years without one for music - since i added one 3 years ago - im loving the sound with them. its all individual - always has -always will

With minimonitors im using the sub they way it was intended to be used. With floor standers - i still have a sub turned on -albeit barely.