Why HiFi Gear Measurements Are Misleading (yes ASR talking to you…)

About 25 years ago I was inside a large room with an A-frame ceiling and large skylights, during the Perseid Meteor Shower that happens every August. This one time was like no other, for two reasons: 1) There were large, red, fragmenting streaks multiple times a minute with illuminated smoke trails, and 2) I could hear them.

Yes, each meteor produced a sizzling sound, like the sound of a frying pan.

Amazed, I Googled this phenomena and found that many people reported hearing this same sizzling sound associated with meteors streaking across the sky. In response, scientists and astrophysicists said it was all in our heads. That, it was totally impossible. Why? Because of the distance between the meteor and the observer. Physics does not allow sound to travel fast enough to hear the sound at the same time that the meteor streaks across the sky. Case closed.

ASR would have agreed with this sound reasoning based in elementary science.

Fast forward a few decades. The scientists were wrong. Turns out, the sound was caused by radiation emitted by the meteors, traveling at the speed of light, and interacting with metallic objects near the observer, even if the observer is indoors. Producing a sizzling sound. This was actually recorded audibly by researchers along with the recording of the radiation. You can look this up easily and listen to the recordings.

Takeaway - trust your senses! Science doesn’t always measure the right things, in the right ways, to fully explain what we are sensing. Therefore your sensory input comes first. You can try to figure out the science later.

I’m not trying to start an argument or make people upset. Just sharing an experience that reinforces my personal way of thinking. Others of course are free to trust the science over their senses. I know this bothers some but I really couldn’t be bothered by that. The folks at ASR are smart people too.

nyev

Showing 10 responses by fredrik222

On the flip side, all you need is to buy a $1k audiophile switch, and a $5k Ethernet cable, and then your Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy will sound like a $1M system. 

so there is that.

It's a straw man argument, akin to one car is red, therefore all cars are red. 

Just because science has not explained everything in the universe and we learn more almost daily, doesn't mean that there are topics where science can fully explain everything. 

@nyev as a general principle, astronomy or Astro physics is not well understood, while consumer audio is well understood.

and the argument that we can’t explain everything with measurements is another false argument. We can can explain everything in consumer audio, and measurements do not explain anything, they confirm hypotheses. 

name just one subject in consumer audio that can’t be explained and one quick google search will immediately prove you wrong. 

@nyev you got it. It is a straw man argument, meaning that it doesn’t actually address anything regarding the topic at hand (consumer hifi equipment science) but gives the false impression that it does (look, science is evolving in astronomy!).

so, if you really want to take on ASR and others, maybe don’t make straw man arguments.

also, you need to start with that our mind always interfere with how we experience things. Always. 

@nyev but in the end, the only thing your example shows is the state of your mind, it is closed. It is a straw man argument, and I showed you why it is, and you stick to that argument.

So, you did prove your point, just not the way you thought you would. 

@nyev  there are plenty who explain why burn in works and how ir works, and it depends on the equipment, and also what you call burn in. Is there is a change in equipment sound and measurements over time, of course. 

but, we are back to what I said, you have a red car, therefore all cars are red; you don’t understand something, therefore no one understands it. Obviously this is completely false. 

@nyev  you can ask him yourself.

but, audio equipment, and almost everything else, changes over time. That’s just how the universe works.

but that is still not the point, the point you made is that we need keep our minds open, and you, yourself, keep your mind very closed, or you would have abandoned your straw man argument long time ago. You are the point of the point you were trying to make.

@nyev again, you are wrong. If you want more on this particular topic explained, here you go : 

But that is still besides the point; your whole argument is a fallacy, and until you fix that, you can’t communicate with people who care about the facts and what science says, and to your point, your mind remains closed. 

@nyev there is a pretty significant difference between saying that one topic is fully understood and saying that there is nothing new that can come up.

To make it more simple for you, the topic of a chair is fully understood, yet, there are new models of chairs using what is understood differently coming out every year.

@nyev i can see that, and you keep confusing things, so you will never actually understand what you don’t agree with. The health issues related to sitting is not something that changes what we know about chairs. Sure, it may influence future designs, but again, it doesn’t change what we know about chairs. 

since you can’t get things like this straight in your mind, you are not able to have a scientific discussion, and that is why people who believe in facts and science have very little patience with people who just vomits words.