Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 1 response by zy1234

I spend what I can on audio equipment (and software) for no other reason than the love of music. My system is only mid-fi (Low end rega, nad, mirage, and a sony cd player) thet being all I can afford. If one has no love for music then it would be wasful to spend money on a stero of high quality. That said, I cannot recall who said that all art tends towands the form of music (sugesting that music is the highest art but I agree.
I can detect faults in my system even now (im listing to Chopin), but, as it has been said this is not a hobby for the poor (or for students like me). I am truly sorry for those who cannot afford a good (even as good as mine) system, but have truly good ears, and almot envy a freind who loves music but cannot hear the difrence between a poor system and a good one- he injoys poor systems greatly, and that is an enviable position.