Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 1 response by rumney510

It takes a learned skill to appreciate music. If you never learned the skill you dont need an audiophile system.
Most people listen to "pop culture" music which requires no skill or time investment - very quick catchy 3 minute tunes.
As an example compare this with an opera singer who spends many many years learning to sing. It would be strange (and insulting to the singer) to think we could immediately appreciate that music with no investment. I would suggest it takes the listener many years to learn to hear and appreciate an opera singer. people dont invest that much time in music anymore and therfore have no need for high fidelity systems or ability to use them. Society is looking for quick gratification and music doesnt offer that. You need many many years of learning, education and patience which is a major commitment.
andy