Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 7 responses by garn509

And why don't more people love art? Because they cannot conceive that either can improve their lives. And they refuse to accept that such is possible. They are clods.
More would love audio if they could be convinced to give it a go. But, people have their priorities, and the art of music reproduction doesn't occur to many as worthwhile.
Why can't we all just get along ? Perhaps more would love audio if it were more affordable ? Who is going to take this seriously if they find out that a set of speakers or a component can cost more than a house ? Get NAD and Cambridge and B&W and KEF into the big box stores, and there will be more audiophiles. If they hear it , -----.
macrojack -- Then there is Bose which populates big box stores and drives on the road it has paved with it's carefully managed reputation.
We audiophiles may be in mystical rapture over a system's properties, but the rest of Them are not. For Them, the song matters more than the sound.
More would love good audio if they heard it. But, most people do not consider good audio to be a priority. Hence, most people will not hear good audio.