Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 1 response by freelandjf325

people do love audio. It is just that peoples definition of what real audio is has changed. When I was a younger fella if you owned a Pioneer reciever with a Dual turntable and a set of J.B.L speakers you were big time. If you sit most people down in front of a $3.000.00 system and put on their favorite tunes they will say that it sounds fantastic, and you know what it probally does sound just fine. Does some lonely audio geek gushing over the improved sound staging that he is getting with his new interconnects that he paid for with all the money that he saved by never dating, sound on his 1950 era mono recording of some classical stuff that he does not even like really represent someone who is really into music.