Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6

Showing 4 responses by eagleman6722

Seevral things that come to my mind are:
1)Money. People put music low on the priority list.
2)Anlytical listening. Most people don't listen to how the music sounds, they just listen to the music.
3)Many people listen to music only at parties or get-togethers. Music is just in the background.
4) They haven't gotten the disease. Kind of like golf. Once you catch it your hooked....
To Bombaywalla,

Point #2 analytical listening. I checked with my wife who has no interest in high end audio. She doesn't listen to how the music sounds. All she is interetsed in is what song is on and if she likes the song. I began my analytical senses by buying a $10 woofer and hooking it up to my tape recorder back in college in the early seventies. i know I wanted to have strong heavy bass. I didn't care whether it was boomy or not, I just wanted bass. So I took the bare woofer, and pointed it into a corner where it would exhibit a "boom boom" during certain passages.At that point every song that i listen to from then on had to meet a certain criteria. I found that I enjoy music but, it had to sound pleasing to my ears. On the other hand, when I had a friend over and wanted to show off my system, most of the ones who liked music really didn't appreciate my systems dynamics. They either liked the song or they didn't. This is what separates the analytical from the "just plain" music lovers. I have records that I like the music but, can't play them because the recordings are so bad. Every CD with old groups that I purchase has to have a notice that it was digitally remastered or i won't touch it...

Just my .02......
Bombaywalla,
Actually I am both. Discriminating as you describe for CDs and records that sound good and analytical. I just changed tubes in my Audio research sp9 Mk2 to Amperex USN-CEP's which completely changed the character of the pre. Last week I bought a TAD-150 on the write ups and advise of Agon members to see if I am getting the best bang for the buck. One of the pres will go, probably the ARc if I agree with the reviews. Then in March when I have a little spare coin , I am sending my McCormack DNA-1 to Steve McCormack for a Rev -B upgrade. So i guess I evolved from discriminating to both over time....

Eagleman
CDC and REX, I don't think the problem has to do with what speakers or electronics are made for rock. I believe many rock bands produce music that is either too poorly recorded to be listened to on good systems or the music that is produced is too loud or complex to spund good at a concert, recording studio , or a good system. For instance, I like quite a few Everclear cuts but, I won't buy cd's because it is recorded/ produced or whatever in such a manner that it sounds compressed on any good system. I don't think that you can make a speaker that will cause Everclear to sound good. Then again, I have an AC/DC CD that sounds great and vibrant on my Vandersteens. These speakers are so nuetral they are not biased towards any music except that which is poorly produced or the electronics are poor. Just my .02.

By the way, I am in my early 50's and listen to nothing but classic rock, alternative, punk, and soft rock. No classical or jazz crosses my electronics and my speakers sound wonderful as long as the recording is good.

Eagleman