Why do you think Bi-Wiring improves the sound ?

I now know of 3 people that have converted their speakers to be bi-wired but are not bi-amping .

What is your experience or opinion on why bi-wiring without bi-amping might or does sound better ?

I am concidering converting my speakers but I do not want to be fooled by the addition of increased AWG .
128x128vair68robert

Showing 8 responses by tomic601

@bigkidz   Peter external shotgun biwire AQ Type 6 headed your way :-) I am guessing Tuesday you should have them to listen to :-))))) music is the gig - have fun

My Reference power amps don’t have emitter resistors :-) and certainly no global feedback...
@bigkidz i am in hotel California for now..... seattle when I can travel safely, since you have the lovely 5a I will send them to you shipping gratis- just listen and enjoy :-)
No ! Many non bi-wire speakers can be designed with an L pad in the midrange and or tweeter circuit. In the Vandersteen 2 and 3 they are very carefully deployed with a very high quality device that should not be used frequently as one might a tone control. The range is significantly less than available via most tone controls. You can read more by downloading a manual from the Vandersteen website.

finally, at least for Vandersteen IF you wish to preserve time and phase, do NOT use a different wire for the two legs of the Biwire!!!
a notable exception is the new Audioquest wire that has the RF trap on the bass.

have fun, enjoy the music
Thank God that on that third swing Richard Vandersteen hit it out of the park in 1977 and continues to do so....

but in the end, nothing makes it into the product without.... listening to music...

OP glad to be of some help and let me know how your listening tests go

OP vairrobert- the Cardas posts are awesome and allow for a gas tight connection- essential to good sound over the long haul. 
@bigkidz i have an 8’ set of AQ type 6 shotgun biwire, spades all around w Vandy size spades on speaker end - perfect for your listening session - they have about 50k miles on them as I loan them out to the agnostic for fun. I can put them in mail to you Sunday, chlorox wipe included !!!!
jim
Several thoughts, all tempered with real world listening to a variety of speakers ( currently I own Apogee, Quad, Thiel and Vandersteen, three of those four vaunted designers sent them from the factory with biwire provisions.

The Vandersteen recommendation is based on science and listening with his products, since 1977. He does recommend an external biwire configuration If possible and get cables spaced appropriate 2”+. He is a pretty frugal designer/ engineer, the Model two in various versions over a quarter million sold, has beat inflation- IF he didn’t believe bi wired sounded better with additional cost to manufacture, it wouldn’t be on his product. Obviously there is hardly agreement on many principles of speaker design. Many a lauded designer cares nothing about pistonic motion and tolerates out of phase breakup in the passband ( see the Vandersteen Utube video on pistonic motion ) ain’t it great to have choices ???

Vandersteen model 2 to 7 including the high pass amplifier all have biwire provisions.

your results will always vary

enjoy the music and Libations of your choice, Ripple included