Why do you guys pursue a flat frequency response when you buy a subwoofer?

As we all know, most audiophiles spend a fortune for that flat frequency response displayed on the manufacturer's specs when you buy a subwoofer. Why do you do this? The minute you put that flat sub in your room and take some measurements, it is anything but flat (it's a rollercoaster with all kinds of peaks/nulls etc, EQ to the rescue).....So, why do you dudes continue to look for the flat line? What's going on in your mind when you're shopping around?
deep_333

Showing 11 responses by tomic601

Deep thanks I might have the Zimmer on my server, will look this eve. I am out mending fence
i could use a desolate farmhouse!!!

I gave this bit of thought on the airplane trip today - IF ya get Soular Energy sounding “ right “
then everything else is recording variability...

OP I sent you a PM offering help gratis but I see you have taken many many steps to better sound...

@m-db  yes that is Terra Mar :-) red tide going.... on top of reopening...
Deep pondering your post... what does REW run result look like for in room ? The frustration in room 2 seems to be more with recording variations? Can you post a frustrating track title and the SPL where troubles begin or end... Also you can high pass the mains with a 6 db per octave filter available from Vandersteen which is part of his systems engineering approach to powered bass integration- not advocating a switch in your speakers. Traveling today,
And in the spirit of good will Duke, because you are indeed a gentleman- I would change “ myth “ to vague assertion.

best to you in these crazy times....
Duke - waves ( actually a powerful wake ) with decent amplitude and low frequency bounced at almost a perfect 90 off bulkhead.... the holes and flat truncated peaks illustrate in a “ simple physical situation what is more complex in a room. The classic two slit model without the on the side amplitude translator.
Duke - I will resend you the hi-rez photo at your AK business email. I put a medium
rez in my virtual system page : Poverty Bay Sound. That is viewable by all.
Gr8 post Duke ! The only thing I would add is Management of the critical crossover frequency to the mains and the slope and energy of the subs above 100 HZ, assuming the dude , “ any major dude “ cares about imaging....
For the OP I am sure a conversation with Danny would go well. A floor stander with built in subs ( better w high pass amp for mid bass and up ) and dedicated sub amp, AND your two rhythmic subs = 4 which with carefully placing them gets you to Swarm. The Vandersteen way is all analog, if you prefer DSP there are other roads.
of course factually knowing what your room is doing is important- vandertones is a free download of warbletone test frequencies common to typical room nodes, that and a relatively inexpensive RS analog SPL meter and you will understand what is happening. In normal non COVID-19 times I would loan you the meter - I have three - all stuck in Seattle- finally what are the dimensions of workshop, I can run need/modes calculator...
have fun, enjoy the music
jim
Miller - who made you King with a branding iron ? You think there are dudes who know and those who don’t. Nowhere do you differentiate between users and designers. If you paint with a broad brush “ dude’s” you have people like me who fill in the details. I am guessing you have yet to actually hear a Danny R or Richard Vandersteen sub ... as I recall your last post about DR’s product utube video focused on the drape of curtains...
so... flail away Charlie
A careful look at the dimensions of your various rooms may tell you quite a bit about why the shop sounds so good.

obviously Danny at Rhythmic , Duke at AudioKenisis, and others know what they are doing relative to room nodes, room gain, and designing for flat response, some w adjustable phase. My favorite designer is Vandersteen’s with 11 bands of EQ below 120 HZ, variable count our, EQ centers on common room nodes. Contrary to Miller’s myth, many sub designers are very aware of Earl Geddes seminal work on multiple subs to cancel out constructive and destructive interference ( Duke you really should look at the wave photo I emailed you long ago ), I will post it in my virtual system page... perfect example of constructive/destructive interference), Many ( but thankful not all ) customers don’t want a forest of subwoofers in the room. RV power factor corrects his supplied amp which also has feed forward control - others use servos, etc. point is there are some fantastic subs out there.
one way to quickly judge sub integration with mains and response and pitch definition is by listening to well recorded scaling acoustic bass - Ray Brown Soular energy is fantastic for this :-)
enjoy your BIC and other subs OP, enjoy the music !!!!