Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

Showing 2 responses by musicfan2349

Wow this has been a delightful conversation! Lot of interesting comments and suggestions for new music. Thank you!

I gave it some thought and started wondering what defines "new music" in the context of this conversation? Is it chronologically new or new to the listener? For instance, while I really enjoy "Boomer rock" the past couple of years I've discovered bee-bop. So I've been worshipping at the church of St. Miles, Art Blakey, John Coltrane, etc. 

So maybe I'm not stuck in the "past" as I'm listening to "new to me" music? 😉

Happy listening. 

OP here.

I want to say that've been following this thread with great interest. I've enjoyed reading almost all of the posts especially those that present their own ideas on why the phenomenon seems to occur and how to go about getting past it. 

BTW by no means did I mean to imply that the 'no new music' thing is ubiquitous. Everyone is an individual and thinks and reacts differently to the world around us.

But best of all I've gotten some new artists to check out! So thank you all again.

Happy listening...