Why do so many sellers take offense to offers on their listings?

If you have the 'offer' feature activated then what's the problem with any offer. Comments like 'lowball' offers will be ignored just gives me a bad vibe. If your item has been up for sale then there is no insulting offer. I've made deals with people starting far apart and coming together. If you haven't noticed the audio market seems to have come to a standstill. Any opinions?

128x128bubba12

When I see the phrase "Make an Offer" my interpretation of that is the Seller is attempting to encourage dialogue. The person wants to sell the item, knows that it is used, but feels that his item deserves consideration at a specific price but is also open to considering another price.  I see noting wrong with this.  I take no offense when I receive a price that I think is too low.  I have sold at least 2 or 3 items where the buyer started out lower than I expected and we were able to eventually come to an agreement on a price that we both felt was fair and we completed the transaction.  Its called Negotiations.  Neither party gets exactly what they expected but at the end of the day each agree on a price that they both are satisfied with.  

When I see the phrase "Make an Offer" my interpretation of that is the Seller is attempting to encourage dialogue. The person wants to sell the item, knows that it is used, but feels that his item deserves consideration at a specific price but is also open to considering another price.  I see noting wrong with this.  I take no offense when I receive a price that I think is too low.  I have sold at least 2 or 3 items where the buyer started out lower than I expected and we were able to eventually come to an agreement on a price that we both felt was fair and we completed the transaction.  Its called Negotiations.  Neither party gets exactly what they expected but at the end of the day each agree on a price that they both are satisfied with.  

well said

"Why do so many sellers take offense to offers on their listings?"

How are you making your offer, is it binding through the Audiogon system or is it a weak-ass, noncommittal PM where it means nothing? I can handle low ball offers and respond in kind. I have nearly 300 transactions on A’gon and have been here 20+ yrs (in spite of my profile saying 11-yrs). What I do here is purely hobby related, in my professional life I sell for a living and know what pre-qualifying a buyer is all about. If you contact a seller through PM you are def relegated to tire kicker status (i.e. time waster). I can’t tell you how many times someone said "ill buy it at X price" through PM and not follow through. The PM function is for asking questions, not making offers to buy.

@saburo, are these PM’s standard protocol and adhered to by the vast majority of Audiogon sellers?