Why do so many sellers take offense to offers on their listings?

If you have the 'offer' feature activated then what's the problem with any offer. Comments like 'lowball' offers will be ignored just gives me a bad vibe. If your item has been up for sale then there is no insulting offer. I've made deals with people starting far apart and coming together. If you haven't noticed the audio market seems to have come to a standstill. Any opinions?

128x128bubba12

@bubba12-definitely agree on any offer being fair for something that hasn't sold in 6 months. 

I’ve bought and sold gear, sometimes made money and occasionally broke even. Mostly ’common’ brands, Martin Logan, Emotiva, Tekton, NAD, Topping, B&W, Buchardt, etc. I price things just below the next lowest seller. I figure it gives me a slight advantage and ensures the buyer is getting a fair deal. My ultimate goal is for the buyer to be satisfied, and enjoy their purchase. Occasionally a buyer will low-ball, and I explain my pricing strategy, which will either lead to a sale or not. I figure if the lowest price available isn’t good enough for them, then they’re probably looking to resell. I’d rather keep the gear for a rainy day, dig it out of the closet a couple years later and it’s suddenly like a new toy again. There’s no offense taken by low- ball offers. People (myself included) can make financially sound purchasing decisions - especially with such non-essential items. And sellers (myself included) can be doing the same with selling decisions.

It may well be an issue of culture, or education. There are times a potential buyer, giddy with the thought of falling it the deal of a lifetime, is tiresome and unappealing when parting with something you have found value in. Perhaps like shaking the hand of a teenager who has just come out of the bathroom with a skin mag and would like to meet your daughter. She may be technically "fair game" but that does not mean it is pleasant to deal with the pimples or greasy hand. We are in this for the pleasure of music not low life ego trips.

@simao Seems to get it. First of all from a selling standpoint. If I want $2000 for an item, I'm going to list it for $2500 so I have some negotiating room. If someone really wants the item and they offer my selling price or even a couple hundred less, I still come out ahead. From a buyers stand point, you have to know what you are willing to pay for an item. I have received many offers at a low price and then neverget a counter offer. I think a lot of people don't understand the art of negotiation. It's a used piece of gear. You want to sell/buy it. You should expect to negotiate. Some people are so offended on either side of the trade. Don't be offended.....negotiate! If I am willing to pay the $3500.00 asking price for an item, my first offer is not going to be the ask. I will say something like, can you live with $3000.00? If I get a yes, then I know the person is wanting to move the item on, If I get a no then I will split that amount to see if we can settle at the $250.00 difference.

You also have to understand how to control a situation. When I purchased our home I told my wife, we're going to offer "X" and they are going to counter with "Y" and we are going to quibble over a few thousand dollars on a large dollar purchase. I told my wife that if we pay the asking price the conversation is over an we control the situation. We offered full price with possession at closing and made the deal. No one here should be offended. If you receive an offer simply justify your price....(this is a current model unit that is in excellent shape at half the price of new) If they aren't willing to come back with a better offer then so be it. There are always ways to negotiate, both parties need to be willing to do so. As a successful salesman I can tell you that you don't get unless you ask. Have a starting point but be willing to haggle. For sellers, understand that people are going to go fishing to see what they can catch. Simply counter offer and then you know where the person is really at. Remember, if you are "offended" then that is on you, not the other person. Being offended is just plain dumb. 

@boxcarman Don't you see your problem? It's right there in front of you. You expected $800.00 for an item and stereobuyers offered you $400.00. What did you expect? It's an $800 dollar item and they are a reseller. They're certainly not going to offer you market price for an item, You have to understand the situation. See the last sentence of my post above.