why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
Whoa! What? Geez, it’s getting deep in here. Need my hip waders. Good luck with all that. Get out much? Finally, someone who gdhal can relate to on his level. 👨‍🚀
^ Of course I can relate to cd318. If you read many of his posts throughout the forum, they are accurate, well written and devoid of sarcasm and nonsense.

Basically the complete opposite of your posts.

Why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable?
Because you get what you pay for - same thing applies to audio cable.
Why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable?
Because you get what you pay for - same thing applies to audio cable.

Truth is though there are different applications for cables. Interconnects being one, and speaker wire being another. There is such an abundance of information - and listener testimonial - stating that in the case of speaker wire, anything other than "ordinary lamp cord" is essentially unnecessary and indistinguishable audibly. The only thing one gets in this case is more broke.
Obviously anyone can cherry pick user testimonials and find some somewhere that agree with you. Or just make it up, who’s gonna know, right? And ignore the testimonials that don’t agree with your foregone conclusions. It’s the oldest ploy in the pseudo skeptics playbook. Even better, find a PhD somewhere who agrees with you. That can be very powerful in these sorts of “debates.” Cough, cough!