Why do my ears ring with my new amplifier?

I just changed integrated amplifiers on January 2, 2015. I went from an Audio Research DSi200 to a Simaudio 600i. I'm running a Lumin A1 Network Streamer and Dynaudio C1 speakers. Those haven't changed. I'm also in the same 10' x 12' room.

My setup sounds great when I'm outside of my room. When I walk in and sit down, my ears start ringing.

I don't think that the high frequencies are the problem. Is this too much bass energy in the room, too much sound pressure, or what do you think?

Does anyone have a suggestion on what's needed to correct this problem?

Thanks,
Chuck
illuminator

Showing 14 responses by zd542

Assuming your new amp is broken in, moving to the SS amp may be revealing more detail in the upper frequencies. Try moving the speakers around and experiment with different tow in settings. Also, check to make sure your speakers are wired in phase, its an easy mistake to make. Just play a CD you know well and that has a strong centre vocal image. Make sure the voice is still in the centre between the speakers.
"My setup sounds great when I'm outside of my room. When I walk in and sit down, my ears start ringing."

This shouldn't be too much trouble since you have small speakers. Move your system to another room and try it there. You don't have to invest a lot of time in setup, you just want to see if the ringing will go away in different environment. Along with some of the others, I'm not too sure what the problem is here. Given that your room is fairly small, its going to be essential that you figure if the problem is equipment related, or possibly the room.

If it turns out that you still get the ringing, I think you should look at your source. I'm not too familiar with your Lumin, but with computer audio related components, there's usually a lot of adjustments and choices. Since you are plugging it into a new preamp, you could have a gain related issue, or something similar. It may need to be reconfigured to work better with your new integrated.
I think I may have figured out what your problem is. Your room is very small. Because of this, you probably have your listening chair very close to the rear wall, or maybe even right up against it. When you are too close to the rear wall, its like cupping your hands when you're having trouble hearing something. I don't think you have tinnitus because it looks like you're only having a problem with your system, and nothing else. If you do have tinnitus, you should hear the ringing under other circumstances as well.
"02-04-15: Lowrider57
I wonder if using headphones would work as a troubleshooting tool ? It could rule out any components."

It's a very good idea, but I don't think it would be too reliable. There would be no way to tell if the ringing is caused by the room or the system.
"02-04-15: Swampwalker
But it would tell you if the OP's ears are bad.."

I don't see why you would need headphones diag the OP's ears.
If he has tinnitus, he should hear the ringing all the time. And the more quiet the environment, the the worse the ringing gets.
"I was grasping at straws to see if the system sounded better/worse with headphones; maybe more neutral by eliminating the room. A separate issue from the ringing I guess."

Its certainly worth a try just to see what happens, but not only would you be eliminating the room with headphones, but the amp, speakers, some of the cables, and possibly the preamp depending on where the headphone amp is.
"02-06-15: Csontos
The flatter the frequency response, the less fatiguing the amp will be. It's just that simple. Whatever other attributes/detriments it has will be irrelevant."

How could you come up with something like that. The fact that a piece of audio equipment will be less fatiguing to listen to just because it has a flat response, doesn't even make sense. And before you come back and start arguing with me, can you back that statement up with something real?
"Btw, that sure didn't take you long. Is there anything else you do during the day? Just curious."

Nope. Its Sunday. I'm in church using my new wifi enabled tablet. Just don't tell Schubert or he'll flip.
"I'm not interested in arguing with anybody. But just for argument's sake, how does it not make sense to you that a flat FR will be less fatiguing?"

Some people roll off the high frequencies either directly with some type of EQ or tone controls, or indirectly using system matching to deal with problem frequencies. Altering frequency response, even if its to flatten it, will make the system sound worse (to the person who set it up, not necessarily to everyone.).

"The flatter the frequency response, the less fatiguing the amp will be. It's just that simple. Whatever other attributes/detriments it has will be irrelevant."

There's so many other factors that can contribute to an amps listening fatigue, besides a flat response, a book could be written on the subject. Timbre, distortion, material components, power output, phase, feedback, are all qualities I don't see as being irrelevant. You can if you want to. That's you're subjective view on the matter. Not everyone would agree with you.
"Yours is also your subjective view.

Of course it is. How could it not be?

"The flatter the frequency response, the less fatiguing the amp will be. It's just that simple. Whatever other attributes/detriments it has will be irrelevant."

I don't see how you can go from that to this.

"I'm well aware there's more than one kind of fatigue and the one in question is the painful kind."

Maybe you should pick one. Either you have one factor and everything else is irrelevant, or there's several factors that are relevant.

"I would say pain is the most relevant."

Maybe that's your view but another person may say different. Everyone makes their own choices. That said, I think most people would choose pain as the number one cause of listening fatigue, like you. And that's exactly why so many use EQ's and tone controls to roll off the top end. In doing so, they're moving frequency response away from flat on purpose to make the system more listenable.
"02-08-15: Csontos
I think you're arguing with yourself. Carry on."

Sorry, but their you're posts. You just don't want to be wrong.

"And before you come back and start arguing with me, can you back that statement up with something real?"

If you had an answer to that statement, something tells me you would find the will to argue.
"02-08-15: Csontos
Well both of us can't be right, right? So you may as well be wrong! WRONG I SAY!! WROOONG! I'm right... yep, right. But you... you're wrong, again."

Well, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. You seem to know what you are talking about. But just try to calm down and not get too excited. And if there's anyone else in the house, you may want to ask them to hide the remote, and the razors. If they ask why, just have them read this post.
What's so good about northern fried chicken? You got a problem with the south?