WHY CABLES MATTER!

I have seen the argument over and over again on why cables matter and the that wire is just wire and how scientifically it’s impossible for them to make a difference. The thing that surprises me the most is that different materials are used. Different shielding is used. Different connectors are used. Different braiding methods of the cables are used. Materials are sourced from different manufacturers and put through different creative processes but I always get some guy who comes on and says. WIRE IS WIRE AND YOU ARE NOT HEARING WHAT YOU ARE HEARING? To me it’s pure arrogance to think you know more than everybody else to the point where you tell me what we are hearing through my ears and we are not smart enough to know when are minds are playing trick on us. But using all these different materials, process and shielding and creative processes don’t make a difference. I spent the last 15 years trying all the cables I could try.  Thoughts anyone?

calvinj

Showing 11 responses by jeffrey125

@roxy54 Interesting. As someone posted in the string about material (matter) construction and gauge, playing into conductivity and captaincy I felt it was very relative to the conversation.

Sorry it did not meet your high standards and I did not know you are a moderator here. I will try and keep this in mind, what you think that is. 🤔🤨😏  

The biggest issue in speaker cables, from the point of view of sound quality, is simply conductivity; the lower the resistance of the cable, the lower the contribution of the speaker cable’s resistance to the damping factor, and the flatter the frequency response will be

I didn't see what it contributed to the conversation. In addition to that, you posted it without introduction or comment which seemed strange. 

@mitch2 Thank you. I am not a BJC supporter though the make a good product and I have used their cables in various systems over the years. I do however use a 9 awg cable now from Zavfino currently. Was not really and advertisement it was a cut from their webpage and is more informational than advertising. I just recalled reading it and thought I would share. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

So where is your white paper or IEEE report/findings...

tvrgeek

123 posts

Many years ago when all this cable stuff came about, we did testing. Real engineers, one had an earlier career actually designing wire. Objective as much as we could afford, subjective where we could. Scope, Digi-Bridge, AF generator  etc. 

We used two systems. One was CJ tube P5, MV50 into Quads. Records of course. My system was a C&M amp , Hafler preamp, into Celeston 44's, modified with SEAS tweeters. 

Our conclusion that I have held fast until now is there are two kinds of cables. Bad ones and good ones.  I still hold that "truth" for digital cables. Almost for RCAs. 

For speaker cables, our testing convinced us that 14 or 12 AWG zip cord was darn near perfect.  None of the new boutique fire hose stuff was any better. We also tried several fads at the time like ribbon cables, bell wire ( solid core 16 gauge twisted)  etc. One was a ribbon made of twisted pairs. We found some could really upset my amp. ( marginal stability it turns out) 

@ernstmach Then you need to do more research and give this podcast a listen. Cables do matter no matter how much Science and knowledge The Geek espouses. He is not an engineer nor is he a designer/manufacturer. Pure conjecture on his part.

Peter Comeau is a renowned engineer and designer and will debunk a lot that is said in these forums. Again, just the facts from a real engineer.

https://darko.audio/2023/10/podcast-10-hi-fi-myths-busted-w-peter-comeau/

@jayctoy if you have time listen to the podcast with Peter, he agrees, to a point.