Why buy older digital gear?

I've seen a lot of Cal Audio gear for sale recently, most notably the Cal Delta and the Sigma dac. I recall these units where popular in the early 90's. Why spend $500-$600 on outdated technology? Is it because the selling price is much lower than the original retail price? I am certain that todays budget gear would surely outperform any of the older players? Am I wrong or are these components still worth a listen?
Thanks
cody
The original question was why spend $500-$600 on an old CDP that was high end 8-10 years ago, instead of buying a new technology unit in the same price range.
It seem to me that while the older high end models use outdated dacs, they still used very high quality analogue outputs. The new budget CD players might use current dacs, but they skimp on the other components to keep the price down.

-Patrick
Another advantage of older digital technology is the VERY STEEP fall off in price. I just bought a Classe' DAC1 for <25% of list. I have a CAL CL-10 changer driving it thru aes/ebu digital cable and the DAC drives a BAT pre operating in balanced mode. The sound is very smooth, musical, vibrant, dare I say analog like (my analog rigs, while not high end, NEVER sounded remotely this good). Don't get hooked on specs, go with the sound. While it is true that 10 year old digital might not be all that good a value, how about 2-3 year old? That's where I am putting my $, and I'm thrilled with the sound.
This is a very good D/A I am also using it with my old Karik and when I compared it to the Numerik it was no contest for the Alfa. Also have in mind that you can upgrade it for $450 so it will not be outdated. For less than $1000.00 you will be able to compete with anything up to $2500.
In the past week I sold my Sony 777ES for $1500 and replaced it with an Audio Research CDT-1 transport (paid $600, retail was about $2500) and an EAD 7000 Series III dac (paid $500, retail was $2500). The new old stuff sounds a lot better than the Sony. Improved dynamics and real bass is in my system once again. I chose the EAD over a loaded Theta Gen V that was priced at $950 versus retail of $5700. The old stuff at 20-30 cents on the dollar is the greatest bargain in high end. By the way, I purchased an Ortho Analog Reconstructor a few months ago for $350 on the 'Gon and it makes most redbook CD's sound like SACD. That is the main reason why I unloaded the Sony - super audio wasn't that super and there is still no software. Who needs it.
When first tried a Meridian 263 DAC with my Panasonic A-120 DVD player I stopped listening to sounds and gear and was pulled into music.

Much later after replacing my Meridian with a Monarchy upsampler paired with a MSB II DAC the sense of musicality was gone. Now I'm listening hi-fi again, not music.

Dying to get that MeridianĀ“s "musical rightness" again.

Differences are found among older equipment as well as in new stuff. A well executed older design offers long lasting satisfaction. Cost less also.