Why are speaker stands so expensive?!

I've been looking to buy a good pair of stands for my bookshelf speakers and for some reason I can't seem to find anything reasonably priced. Why are speakers stands so exorbitantly expensive?

If anyone has recommendations for good stands that won't break the bank, please share!

aamiransari

I purchased a pair of Lovan steel speaker stands that were approx 28" high from audio Advisor that looked and were just as well built as Sound Anchor stands. 

Granted this was about 12 years ago and prices have definitely gone up, but I got these stands for $50 new. They were originally $80, but were on sale at the time.

I've noticed many speaker companies that make stand mount loudspeakers at exorbitant prices sell the matching stands for equally exorbitant prices. And naturally, they say their expensive stands are required for optimum performance. I haven't examined a whole lot of these expensive stands, but my opinion is they aren't worth their price tags.

My 2 cents worth.

they are expensive and ugly.  It's like wheels in the Mercedes dealership, they will cost more because the buyers have money. You can buy 200 dollar chairs with prettier and sturdier legs than those ugly 600 dollar speaker stands

I used to think Spendor's stands were just plain stupid expensive.  Until I tried them.  I was using some typical sand filled square column B&W's before.  I had no idea how really good the little Spendors were until I tried these.  The difference was not subtle.  

There are many highly respected speaker manufacturers who absolutely do not recommend heavy metal stands or metal stands at all. Borresen makes their own stands out of mdf, unfortunately they are not available separately and if they were, the cost would be… too much to bear. Danish furniture is expensive anyway. 

Lots of good answer so forgive me adding one more. I had a set of these and they are very sturdy, easy to assemble. The one point - and forgive me if others have already pointed out - you can also experiment with inexpensive pads/material between the stand and your speaker. Happy listening! 

Pangea Audio LS300 All Steel Floor Bookshelf Speaker Stands Pair (36 Inch) $149.00 Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EVNE96C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1