Whole House Surge Arrester

I was looking into getting a whole house surge arrester.  The only issue that I ran into was the limited warranty of 5 years.  Basically - what that means is that I will have to change out/replace the arrester every 5 years (by a certified electrician) if I want the warranty.  It's probably $150-$200 labor cost to install (plus the cost of the arrester ~$200), but still seems like an unnecessary expense. I looked around, but it seems that the 5 year warranty seems pretty standard.  Anybody install one with a 10 yr/> $50k warranty?

Thanks in advance.

128x128rdk777

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

With a new house build our electrician installed in our Eaton panel whole house  surge protectors which occupied two slots and would last as long as they were not "invoked".  Once they trap a surge, they need to be replaced.

In our former home, I had a Leviton 52000 series whole house surge protector, which was much more expensive and much more sophisticated, with two replaceable "modules", when one would trap a surge, it would need to be replaced.  If my memory serves me, I think we paid something like $1200 for the Leviton unit about 20 years ago, plus labor.