who makes auto biasing tube amps w/200 wpc

Let's simplify the matter.

I'm at a real loss here to think of tube amp makers whose amps are both auto bias and have good power, say around 200 wpc or more @ 8ohms?

Might could go as low as 150-175 but I feel 200 @ 8 is about right, and would like to get as close to that spot as possible.

BTW... Non bridged amps.

Many thanks
blindjim

Showing 3 responses by rleff

Running kt88's in a audiovalve Challanger 180 monoblocks will give you 180 watts (auto bias,can run el34,6550 and kt88's).
Blindjim I think audiofeil in Clarence NY carries the line;as I have seen ads from him on Audiogon selling the product.
I bought mine on audiogon used last year;it has been a great amp driving a very tough load (soundlab m2's) and it autobias's as the op was inquiring about;there might be other sellers but audiofeil is the only one I can think of.
Blindjim I have had 4 tube amps;vtl 225 monoblocks,manley ref 440/200 monoblocks,cary slam 100 mono's and the audiovalve's I currently have.
The vtl and manleys sounded very similiar and they were driving merlin 4b+'s and dunlavy sc3's;controlled bass,midrange that most tube lovers crave and extended highs,the manleys ran 6550c's and the vtl's ran kt88's.
The cary slam 100's are the ones I had the longest;running jjkt88's at 95watts triode;these amps were the best I have owed until now;these amps drove the dunlavy's and the sound was just fantastic and then I got the itch to see what electrostatics were all about and found the cary's to do a very good job but were being taxed and it was noticable;loss of bass control on the panel,the midrange fell apart and the overall sound was degraded;these amps were the first generation on the slam 100's and it was fixed at triode with no ultralinear switch as the newer models had.I traded them in on the audiovalve challangers and have never been happier.Sound is first rate from top to bottom,they seem to control the panels with ease.Build quality is excellant and I have not experienced any problems with these amps since I aquired them.
I have not tried tube rolling on them as I am rookie in this area but have made some inquiries on where to start and what to try.