Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 10 responses by unsound

What’s the dB range of the customizable eq?
Can Tidal be streamed?
What is the analog output voltage?

Just a guess here, but I suspect the Lyngdorf will accept most hi-rez formats, but...they might be down-rezed(?) when DSP room correction and/or PWM amplification occurs.  I'll also hazard a guess that it probably won't matter too much, and the benefits just might outweigh the apparent compromise. I have no idea how the eq will work; will it effect rez, will it allow pre and/or post manipulation with DSP room correction, how much dB range will if afford, will it be fixed or parametric?

Untill Lyngdorf posts a spec sheet, I hope an owner might share specs that might come with the owner's manual.

Kenny, Thanks again. That’s helpful again. No, I have never used Roon, but, yes I’m pondering it.
Kdud66, I believe Lyngdorf recommendation to place speakers directly against the back wall is more than a nod to decorating. By placing the speakers as such, the direct sound and the most immediate reflected sound will be similar. Otherwise, the first sound that the ear recognizes if placed typically out from the back wall will have been unnecessarily and consequently unnaturaly corrected as though it was a reverberant sound. The depth provided by typically placing speakers out from the rear wall (and to allow for enough time between direct and reflected sound) could be argued to be a room induced reflection distorton and the ambience cues on the recording could be compromised. Furthermore placing the speakers against the back wall will have the bass frequencies achieve room induced lift that could relieve the amplification of some added work. That extra amplification energy might be better used for room correction. 
I am surprised to see that Lyngdorf doesn’t recommend corner placement (though the odds of ideal spacing between speakers in otherwise optionless room corners would be unlikely), as that would further the concept.
 Now I’m not negating your experience. How much recording engineers typically consider soundstage depth is another matter, and if adding artificial depth due to room induced distortion provides a more realistic experience for you, who am I to argue?
^As Lyngdorf has had a history of pairing, and continues to market dipole speakers with their technology, I suspect they could provide much better insight on this matter than I.
Depending on your budget/speakers/room the 2200's extra power might make it a better choice.
Is it possible that when the speakers are closer to the wall, that though the room correction might be increased, it might be done in such a manner that actual amplifier power output is decreased?
There are some unique to the Lyngdorf advantages of using speakers that work best close to the wall.
I haven't been to shows recently, but back when they were marketing this gear under the TacT label,  every show I went to had some, albeit minimal, room treatment during their demonstrations.