Who else is using old cables/interconnects, and is happy?

Although I have changed my system substantially in recent years, I still retain both speaker cables and interconnects that I have owned for ~15 years. I use Audience Au24E speaker cables and RCA interconnects, and a Virtual Dynamic David XLR between my DAC and integrated amp.

The system sounds very good, and I am not inclined to make any changes to the cables. Having said that, though, if anyone has used similar cables and found big steps forward without breaking the bank, I'd be interested to read about your experiences.

More broadly, I would enjoy hearing about cables that other members have stuck with for years.
whipsaw

Showing 1 response by cd318

I've been using Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable and some fairly thick Ixos interconnects (with stupidly tight RCA connectors) for my Marantz CD player and Creek amp. Been like that for about 10 years.

Everything else (minidisc/TV/Blu-ray/MP3) is either budget oxygen free copper or budget gold plated HDMI.

After previous decades of chopping and changing I can't see any reason to experiment any further.

Those changes, if there were any, (various Naim/Linn cables etc) didn't seem to anything particularly noticeable other than cause aggravation with routing.

The Naim cable was especially bad due to its thick and unwieldy dumb-bell shape and construction. To make matters Naim stipulated that each run had to be a minimum length of 3.5 metres or so.

The reason given was that the power amps 'needed' to see a minimum amount of inductance to operate properly. This may have come from their accounts dept for all I know.

Then there were the obligatory Naim DIN connectors and the dreaded SNAIC pre to power lead. 

Ah well, it's all behind me now.
A nightmare form the distant past...