Which Magnepans 3.5 or 1.6?

I am looking to purchase a set of Magnepans. My budget is about $1800. Would I be better off with a new set of 1.6QRs or a used set of 3.5s? I am using a CAT SL-1 mk 2 pre, Resolution Audio Opus 21 cdp, and for now an old Bryston 4B amp. My next step will be to replace the amp.
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal
"At least you know what you have .....". Yes, nothing that remotely resembles the air, openness, dimensionality, harmonic structures, etc., of the series 3.

I owned the 3.3 and 3.5 for a combined 6 years. Everytime I went to the Magnepan dealer, the series 1 speakers, and the series 2 speakers for that matter, did not come close to convey the musicality of the series 3.

At the used price of <$2k, the 3.5s has virtually no competition. The one unfortunate issue here is that these speakers require a lot of money invested in an amplifier for the owner to hear its true potential. There's always so much focus to use Bryston amps with these speakers, and this was true for the dealer here too. But the Bryston is mediocre at best after hearing these speakers on so many other amps in the 200-400w range. These speakers sing magic with tube amps.

An excellent starting point is the Counterpoint SA20/220 or NPS 200/400 amps. Then if you can, try to move up to the VTL 450 or Wolcott P220 mono amps. Or if you want to stay with solid state, perhaps an older Rowland or McCormack 225 might just do the trick. The 3.5s driven by any of these amps would destroy the 1.6s driven by the best amps in the world.

John
New is obviously an advantage. The MG1.6 is a significant improvement over earlier QR models. Some people (I am one) actually prefer the QR approach (tweeter is part of the one membrane) over the separate different-technology ribbon. I suggest you listen to both. If the QR sounds good to you, skip the ribbon.
A good compromise would be the 2.5.5?

(Sorry!) If bass reproduction is important to you, then the 3.5. If you listen only to the Vienna Boy Choir (albeit, sans organ accompaniment) or are a fan of the solo violin/flute/piccolo repertory then, by all means, the 1.6. The 1.6 is also good for wiring your doorbell to it.
Oh yes ....... opinions are golden. With a budget of $1800 and given the current situation. I would opt not to buy something ten years old. I have 3.6's that are powered by a Spectron Musician II. They are indeed powerful performers. Tubes? Well if that's your bag.... Really if it came down to it. I would save the additional monies needed and buy new 3.6's. Then again if were doing all of the printed suggestions. Might as well nix the idea of buying anything new........
Pal

Do yourself a favor and go for the 3.5's. Although I like the 1.6, I feel the 3.5 is the better speaker. True ribbon tweeter for those exquisite highs, a liquid midrange panel and a separate woofer panel giving deeper bass. Yes buying new will give you a warranty; however, if you are careful, most sellers on A'gon are extremely honest and will not sell you a badly used pair. (I say most because I have been burned before, but that is another story and did not involve Maggies!)

If in the future something does go wrong, Magnepan will rebuild your speakers for a nominal fee. Give them a call and see how much a rebuild would cost (not that the used speakers you buy would need it!).

The only drawback? You will need an even more powerful (high current) amp for the 3.5's. But since you are planning to upgrade anyway....

Great people, great company, great products! You cannot go wrong either way! IMHO