Which is more accurate: digital or vinyl?

More accurate, mind you, not better sounding. We've all agreed on that one already, right?

How about more precise?

Any metrics or quantitative facts to support your case is appreciated.
128x128mapman
I am very used to hearing things that are hard to see on the oscilloscope. Interestingly, instrument manufacturers use a different rule for scanning a signal. The rule of thumb is 10x the highest frequency to be displayed.

This is quite different from what we see in audio, where Redbook only asks for 2x the highest frequency to be reproduced.

The instrument manufacturers use higher scan frequencies in order to maintain waveform fidelity. This is not the case in audio, seems to me that audio reproduction has been treated as the poorer cousin.
Atmasphere, I have to agree that audio does seem to get the short end of the stick, and has for a very long time. After all, it would seem to me that the original cylinders would be a better performing platform than the flatform record platters that replaced them.
The tapes were baked because they used a synthetic tape lubrication not whale oil based lubricant. Overtime they became unplayable. Record companies were in a frantic panic to find a solution. The solution? Bake the tape. It can be played back within I think 48 hrs. You can bake it again, but don't know how many times! Steely Dan goucho had to be re-baked to do the sacd version.
When you bake a tape, it takes a few years for it to regain the moisture chased out while baked. IOW, you have plenty of time to work with the tape- certainly more than 48 hours.

The reason you have to bake them has nothing to do with whale oil :) Modern tapes are made with polyesters, which can absorb moisture at the ends of broken molecular strands. The water molecule allows the magnetic substrate to come unglued. Baking chases out the moisture so the substrate can function normally.

Older tapes from the 1950s were made with acetate. Acetate does not have the moisture issue, so although they have less performance and break easily, they do store much better.
Question about digital sampling. The missing information from the digital samples must be added by the play back component, correct? When recording say a violin, is the first sample taken at the start of a note played and does it also sample at the very end of the note regardless of the samples in between? If it does not then how can digital play back components perform proper decay and bloom of the music played regardless of the sample rate?
I know nothing about digital recording but feel it is missing the soul and heart of the music IMO.